It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need to build a new version of a Work Item Template and get it properly extracted into the RTC process template - Guidance please?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924559) | asked Feb 06 '14, 9:36 a.m.
edited Feb 06 '14, 10:26 a.m.
Hi,

Since I don't have any experience on this area, I am struggling a little bit on getting Work Item Templates properly built and I am not sure that the process I followed is the best one.
Could you please let me know if there is another way of getting the same results or even better results?

Jazz server version used is 4.0.2 on both RTC eclipse and web clients.

Steps followed:
  1. On an RTC Project Area, created the WBS from one of the existing WI Templates that are part of the project configuration (I performed this step using RTC web client )
  2. Made a few changes to some of the work items from that WBS such us changing the content of fields "Summary" and/or Description of the work item.
  3. Then, using the eclipse client, I selected all the WIs of the WBS created in step #1, right click and "Create Work Item Template..."  to create a new WI Template.
  4. Exported the updated WI Template to my local machine as an XML file.
  5. Edited the XML file and changed the identifier automatically assigned by RTC with a more suitable one. I wonder if the rdf : ID = [item0, item1....item n] assigned to every  work item in the new XML file is expected behavior...and again, this is related to my concern of having the WI template correctly extracted to the RTC process template.
  6. Removed the WI Template created in step #3 from Project Area's configuration (still using the eclipse client).
  7. Imported the WI Template, using the XML file updated in step #5 (using the eclipse client ) and then go back to the web client where I created the WBS using the WI Template based on the imported XML file.
  8. Repeated step #7 in another RTC project located on the same server and it worked OK. However, I don't know how would this work on another server. That's my major concern since I need to have this template correctly extracted to the process template.

Thanks in advance!
Vicky

Comments
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Feb 06 '14, 12:32 p.m.

Hi Sam!
The reason why I performed steps from 4 to 6 is because I needed to change work item template's identifier and I thought the only way to do that was by updating directly the WI Template XML file.
Is there a better way of getting that identifier changed without performing steps 4, 5 & 6?
I think I tried to do it directly from the process configuration source but that didn't work because it wouldn't match the identifier inside the WI Template XML file.

sam detweiler commented Feb 06 '14, 1:02 p.m.

what do you mean by 'identifier'? 

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Feb 06 '14, 1:15 p.m.

I mean this part of the code inside the work item template xml file:
<rtc_cm:WorkItemTemplate>
 <dc:identifier>corrective.maintenance.2014.partially.implemented</dc:identifier>

sam detweiler commented Feb 06 '14, 1:41 p.m.

but why does the ID matter? 

the name and description should be enough. right?
you could 'get' the ID to put in some table along with the name and description.

just don't understand the business need for the change. 

there is no other way to do he change than what u have. 

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Feb 07 '14, 6:23 a.m.

Changing the ref ID inside the XML file doesn't matter for business purposes - It is just to be consistent with the rest of the customization we provided to the customer.

The only that really matters for business purposes are the rest of the changes I have to apply to the WIs Template (work item's summary and description).

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 06 '14, 10:03 a.m.
if all the same workitem types exist on the other server, your process should work..

I don't understand why u did steps 4/5/6. but it shouldn't matter. 

you should have been able to export the template xml 4, and import (step 7) into the project you will use to extract the process template from. then extract the process template, then export it from server 1, and import it to server 2. 
then create new projects (or better a new parent project and let the other projects consume its process config, parent/child). 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.