It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I authenticate with RRC server using C# REST client?

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Jan 30 '14, 9:52 a.m.
Hello,

I am trying to create a C# REST client that interacts with RRC 4.0.0.1.  I have another C# REST client that authenticates successfully with RTC 4.0.0.1 (same JTS) so I recycled that code, except it doesn't work.  I am just trying to authenticate and retreive a list of project areas (for now).  The GET works no problem with RESTClient for Firefox (after authenticating manually first) so I am trying to replicate it in C#.  Here is what it looks like (I am using RestSharp):

public void restAuthRRC()
{
var request = new RestRequest();
request.Resource = "/processProxy?uri=https://<server>/jts/process/project-areas";
request.AddHeader("Content-Type", "application/rdf+xml");
request.AddHeader("OSLC-Core-Version", "2.0");
request.AddHeader("Accept", "application/rdf+xml");
request.Method = Method.GET;

var client = new RestClient();
client.BaseUrl = "https://<server>/rm";
client.Authenticator = new HttpBasicAuthenticator(username, password);

var response = client.Execute(request);
}

When I inspect the response, I always get an unauthorized error.  Is authentication with RRC different to RTC?

Please help!

Regards,

Andrew

3 answers

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 30 '14, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Andrew,

The short answer is "Yes," RRC authentication is different than RTC or RQM. 
Long answer: Since RRC relies on JTS for storage and authentication, whereas RTC and RQM have their own independent storage and authentication mechanism, there is an extra step in the authentication dance required for RRC. In short, the "Unauthorized" response you receive after attempting the login the first time should contain a response header "X-jazz-web-oauth-url" which contains an authentication link and a request token. You will need to extract this link, and follow it in order to authenticate properly.

So basically, you'll need a conditional statement which expects this 401 (Unauthorized) response. If it's detected, then you'll need to look for this "X-jazz-web-oauth-url" header, and execute a subsequent request to that URL.

Does that make better sense? Hope it helps!
Mike Jaworski

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 30 '14, 10:22 a.m.

@majawors

Hello Mike,
This helps, thank you, but I am still stuck.  I have managed to retrieve the header value, but I am not sure what to do with it.  What should the request that I execute to the URL consist of?  Does it return a token or something that I have to pass in subsequent requests?  The URL looks like this:

Are there any examples of this authentication dance in C#?

Regards,
Andrew

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 30 '14, 11:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jan 30 '14, 11:17 a.m.
 Hi Andrew,

Here's an image which shows the flow of the OAuth dance, as used by RRC:
Embedded image

So , I believe that once you send off this request with the oauth_token, that response should include an oauth_token_secret which signifies that you are an authorized consumer. I believe that your browser would include these values (oauth_token and oauth_token_secret) as cookies, but you may be able to append them as URL parameters as well to ensure authentication.

I also see on one of our internal documents that you may be able to get around this by sending a different command:
"Using the JTS Oauth Authorization service implies redirection to the JTS authentication pop-up. The 3rd party consumer app should be able to get around this by disabling redirection on the authorization request, and manually performing the authentication request, like https://{host}:{port}/jts/j_security_check?j_username={username_value}&j_password={password_value}"

Also, I'm not sure if you have seen this before (and not sure how helpful it will be), but you can also access the OSLC workshop which gives (Java) examples of Form-based authentication: OSLCWorkshopDownload. It looks like the example in the workshop uses the "j_security_check" URL above to authenticate.

Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer for you, but you'll probably just need to play around with these options a bit until you get something that works for you.

Mike

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 31 '14, 7:44 a.m.

@majawors

Hi Mike,
Thanks again.  I have managed to authenticate (I think) by POSTing to the "X-jazz-web-oauth-url" header URL and I get a ResponseUri that looks like this:
https://<server>/rm/oauthCallback?oauth_token=3088e1da64ee4e71b8cd999253a658e1&oauth_verifier=da187076df7b43529e6cc966a43f56ee
I don't know what to do with it though, and the response contains no cookies.  When I try a new GET request for the project area list I still get the Unauthorized error.
I will keep working on it, but any ideas would be great!
Regards,
Andrew

Mike Jaworski commented Jan 31 '14, 8:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Andrew,

Did you try using the "j_security_Check" option? I would give that a try if you are hitting a dead end with the OAuth route. Also, the article which Stephane posted looks like it would probably be helpful for you.

Mike 

Andrew Trobec commented Jan 31 '14, 8:37 a.m.

@majawors

Hi Mike,
I have also tried the j_security_check route and I seem to be able to authenticate but the response does not give the me same headers as all the examples that I am following, namely the "X-com-ibm-team-repository-web-auth-msg" header.  I am using RRC 4.0.0.1 and the examples are all for 3.x.  The ResponseURI from the response is "https://<server>/jts/web" which leads me to believe that I am authenticated, but again I have no cookies or tokens, and when I try the next GET request I am still unauthorized.
I will keep at it, though!
Regards,
Andrew

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Jan 31 '14, 7:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,

as your programming language is C#, you may want to refer this post:
Consuming RTC (Rational Team Concert) OSLC APIs using C#: Post 1- Authentication
which you may want to adapt the provided code to your particular needs (and possible RRC specificities).

Regards,
Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.