It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to keep track testing and design work items separately the best way in RTC?

Endre Szalai (3245) | asked Jan 25 '14, 6:33 a.m.
retagged Jan 31 '14, 3:56 p.m. by Dejan Custic (2855)

We have a small team of designers and testers. Currently the sub-areas are quite fixed, but later people may move between areas to help out. We have one team defined for all people in RTC. We also have a backlog, some items are for testing area, some for design area.

As far as I understand, categories can be used to define the testing area and design areas, then work items can be assigned filed against those categories. So far so good. But I would like to know if the test team will be able to deal with their backlog, or are they short on people? What is the best way knowing it?

Is it possible to get a burndown chart for work items belonging to a certain category? The best would be to have burndown charts for all categories, so we could see that with the current speed some categories won't make a release.

Or maybe we should have separate teams defined as well for tetsing and design people? Separate backlogs too?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Susan Wu (4712016) | answered Jan 31 '14, 1:42 p.m.
Hi Endre,

I would suggest you to create two team areas and associate them with the testing and design categories.  The structure of the project teams (project area) is defined by a hierarchy of team areas.  You can then create plan for different team area to track each team's progress.  There will be burndown chat for each plan, hence you can have burndown chat for each category.  The following info center link provides further details on how to make use of team areas in RTC:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_creating_team_areas_associating_categories.html&scope=null

Hope this will help.

Susan Wu
IBM Rational Software Advisory Team (RTC SWAT)
Endre Szalai selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Endre Szalai commented Feb 01 '14, 4:51 a.m. | edited Feb 01 '14, 5:45 a.m.

I have managed to get it, following your answer, thank you! :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.