It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding up story points for queries?

Edwin Guenthner (28177) | asked Sep 25 '13, 8:13 a.m.
retagged Sep 30 '13, 9:52 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
For planing activities, all the time I have to add the story points for a set of stories.
And I can't find any built-in support for that.
All the time, I have to
  1. export my query result,
  2. import into some spread sheet,
  3. run a macro to convert "5 pts" to "5" ...
  4. so I can finally add up numbers.
There must be an easier way?!

3 answers

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Sep 25 '13, 8:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you tried creating a plan for the Iteration / Timeline these stories belong to (assuming you are looking at the stories of the same iteration) ?

The Plan's Progress Bar can then show the progress in terms of the story points which would be the summation of the story points of all the stories of that iteration.

Here is a link from info center which might interest you: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.apt.doc/topics/c_review_progress_web.html&scope=null

Specifically, you can browse to the Progress and Load Bars section :
Rational Team Concert > Collaborating > Creating development plans > Planning the development using the web client > Managing work items > Progress and Load Bars

Here is a snapshot from the JKE Banking sample > BRM Sprint 1 (1.0) Plan showing the Progress Bar which a summation of the overall story points and completion out of it :
StoryPointsSummation

please elaborate if this does not address your concern.

Comments
Edwin Guenthner commented Sep 25 '13, 8:43 a.m.

A plan doesn't help me. I dont want to modify the "planned for" for all my stories ...

Basically I have like 150 stories; and we put different tags on them to "link" them certain "overall line items". Now I need some easy way to figure: what is the story point count for all stories tagged "A", "B", ...

Dinesh Kumar B commented Sep 25 '13, 9:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

ok i understand the requirement better now and agree that planning will not help you as your stories do not share the timeline/iteration.... BIRT reporting is something that I would explore next.. though at the moment I do not know if its possible.. will add an update if I find something for you...

permanent link
Dean La Porte (1) | answered Dec 19 '13, 10:13 a.m.
I believe I am trying to do something similar: 

I would like to display the total of all story points on the parent epic in a Work Item Query for epics only. I am displaying the Story Points field, but it only shows "n/a" as that field is not on available on the epic record. 

permanent link
Carole Guglielmino (6) | answered May 01 '14, 11:56 a.m.
I would also like to do the same thing. We often use Tags or the Feature field to denote a particular requirement and I would like to chart this out to show - Requirement X - Total Story Points. Are there are any plans for adding this functionality?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.