It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

QT developing tool in linux integration with RTC

vinay kumar nukala (4236672) | asked Jan 15 '14, 12:48 a.m.
Hi,

We are using QT for developing our application on linux environment, we want version management with RTC or Clear case. But there are no clients for Linux environment. Can anyone please suggest how to do version management in linux environment with RTC or Clearcase. Please, its urgent.

Thank you,

2 answers

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jan 15 '14, 1:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered Jan 15 '14, 1:41 a.m.
edited Jan 15 '14, 1:42 a.m.
Hi there!

My guess is that you are looking for some integration to the native QT tools, because both RTC and Clearcase have Linux clients.

I have done some QT development using the RTC Eclipse client on Linux for the actual coding, and using the native tools as external tools registered in Eclipse. This gives you the best of both worlds and will give you a really nice RTC client environment too.

This youtube clip shows how you set up the Qt/Eclipse environment - once you've done that then adding RTC into the development mix is simple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPKyDmLUyk8

Also check out this blog that describes the integration in more detail
http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2007/07/11/develop-qt-applications-in-eclipse/

Comments
vinay kumar nukala commented Jan 15 '14, 2:33 a.m.

Thank you for your support,
We want to use only the native tool QT as development without integrating with Eclipse client. Is it possible ? please help me out with this.

and the youtube link you provided is not working properly.

Davyd Norris commented Jan 15 '14, 4:03 p.m. | edited Jan 15 '14, 4:12 p.m.

Well since the Eclipse integration is developed by the Qt team, and since you use the native Qt tools from directly inside Eclipse, you are really doing just that. You really should check it out as it's a very neat and nice way to work.

If you want the native Qt binaries to support version control tools, you will have to get the Qt folks to build in support for a either a full blown version control API, or specific support for RTC in their list of scm tools, and they are likely to point you to their Eclipse version since the full API is there right out of the box :-)

The only other way is to use the two tools separately. Create your Qt project in the native tools, and then use the RTC Eclipse client to set it up under RTC version control. Then use either the RTC Client or RTC command line tools to do all your checking in and out etc. It's more cumbersome than working directly in one tool but that would also work.

I just checked that youTube link above and it works fine for me - try cutting and pasting into your browser as it gets loaded into a pop up if you just click the link

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.