It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC and sharable/re-usable components

paul nusbaum (1349) | asked May 11 '15, 2:37 p.m.
retagged May 11 '15, 3:49 p.m. by Surya Tripathi (65017)
Hello all,

I am beginning an evaluation of RTC - with the hopes to make a full migration from UCM Clearcase to RTC later this year.

(I apologize if this is a duplicate - I tried to post earlier but I am pretty sure it didn't get posted)

Still learning the differences in the tooling/vocabulary, so I apologize if i'm speaking more in ClearCase terms rather than RTC (as I realize in some cases, the terminology may be the same, but the definitions different from one tool to the other)

In ClearCase we have a separate project (in a separate database/PVOB Project VOB) where we manage a writable component containing re-usable libraries and files... lets say "CommonA"

We then have a number of other PVOBs containing projects for various other products we produce.. lets say "ProjA" for example.  ProjA has its own writable component(s), but also brings in the shared component from "CommonA" (as read-only in this case).

So, when we compile code in ProjA, the scripts can find the component/directory shared from CommonA without any issue.

What is the best way to accomplish this in RTC? 
That is, some sort of project/repository that has the common component(s), where users can access and make changes as needed.
Then, they can access that (Shared?) component from their other projects, so they can proceed to build the various products while accessing resources from the shared/common component.

Any ideas would be great.. thanks!
-PaN
Within those projects, we share

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 11 '15, 5:17 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC, anyone can share a component, as long as they have read access to that component.
To make a component read-only for a given stream, you would set the process precondition for that stream to state what roles (if any) can deliver changes to that component in that stream.

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered May 11 '15, 5:31 p.m.
edited May 11 '15, 5:45 p.m.
 A PVOB in ClearCase corresponds to a Jazz Repository. There may be a reason why you have CommonA in one PVOB and rest of the components in another. In RTC SCM, unless you choose to go with distributed SCM and use different process template, you can keep all components in a single repository.
A component in ClearCase can be treated as a component in RTC SCM.

For your case, you can create a repository for each PVOB and a project area in each repository using a process template of your choice. You can then create a component in the repository for each PVOB component.

In order to compile all the code, you would then create a stream and add components from different repositories. 

You may also keep everything in a single repository if the process and team used in the two PVOBs are same.

Compare RTC and ClearCase
https://jazz.net/library/article/499

Distributed RCT SCM
https://jazz.net/library/article/535/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.