It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Possibility to create a report using links shown in the tree view ?

Jean-claude Valla (623) | asked Jan 08 '14, 6:27 a.m.
retagged Jan 08 '14, 1:58 p.m. by Jackie Albert (1.6k14946)
Hello,

If someone could tell me : is that possible to create some report based only on a view ; moreover when the "tree view" is activated. I'm using the version 3.0 of RRC. I know it is possible to create a report based on a view made with filtered artifacts. What I would is : the report should be based not only on the view but on the artifacts linked to the documents in the view, without using the "add" button in the report generation menu.

Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour,

Si quelqu'un pouvait me dire si il est possible de créer un rapport basé seulement sur une vue, mais lorsque le mode arborescence est activé dans la vue en question ? Pour information, j'utilise la version 3.0 de RRC. Je sais qu'il est possible de créer un rapport basé sur une vue dans laquelle les artefacts sont filtrés. Ce que je veux faire c'est :  un rapport basé non seulement sur la vue en présence, mais aussi sur des documents reliés par des liens aux documents présents dans la vue ; cela sans avoir à me servir du bouton "add" dans le menu de génération de rapports.

Merci.

6 answers

permanent link
Charlie Seo (22127) | answered Jan 14 '14, 5:35 p.m.
Rational Requirement Composer(RRC) is one of application in Collaboration Lifecycle Managmenet (CLM) product, which builds and manages your project requirements. It embeds with reporting functionality and one of them is called RRDG (Rational Reporting Document Generation - maybe another typo :) which is equipped with RPE engine. In other words, it uses RPE document design templae with the RPE engine to produce a documentation type report.

As you mentioned, RPE is a separate product, which allows you to run a report generation separately as well as create your own custom templates. This product is more BIRT like tool and could use for many other Rational products.

Regarding to price, I'm so sure how much but certainly it costs. You can talk to IBM sales for that inquiry. I'm sure they will be quick to response ;)

permanent link
Charlie Seo (22127) | answered Jan 12 '14, 6:27 p.m.
If a report is for traceability, I think there is a OOTB template - Traceability report and you could generate one based on a tree view. Also it would be a good idea to create an own one using the ootb template as a basis.

permanent link
Jean-claude Valla (623) | answered Jan 13 '14, 4:45 a.m.
Hello,

Thanks for this answer, but could you precise... what is an OOTB template, explain at lease this acronym please. I read RRC was able to manage different templates according you have certain modules implemented. How would you proceed exactly ?

Thanks again.

@eng

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Bonjour,

Merci de cette réponse, pourriez-vous me préciser ce qu'est un modèle OOTB ? Précisez au moins le sens de l'acronyme s'il vous plaît. J'ai lu que RRC permettait de gérer différents modèles selon que tel ou tel module est implémenté ou non. Comment procèderiez-vous exactement ?

Merci encore.

@fre

Comments
Sumant Renukarya commented Jan 13 '14, 5:04 a.m.

Hello Jean

OOTB refers to Out Of The Box Template, which is available by default with the product :) 

permanent link
Charlie Seo (22127) | answered Jan 13 '14, 6:31 p.m.
Thank you for clarification Sumant. I might be too faimilar with IBM jargon :)

Using out of the box template you could populate traceability reports based on a view, which is the purpose of tree view I believe. It would be the same format as the view but it's more comprehensive layout.

In order to improve the default template you can enhance it by using Rational Publishing Engine (RPE). The reporting engine is actually using RPE publishing engine in the backend so any template you create using RPE could be imported into RRC. Of course you need to design a template compatible with RRC data structure.

You can see OOTB templates under [JazzHome]/conf/rm/reporting/initialization/templates/rrdg/

After modifying or uploading, you need to run initialization REST API for server to recognise changes.

https://[SERVERNAME]:9443/rm/publish/initialize (there might be type :)

Comments
Jean-claude Valla commented Jan 14 '14, 11:27 a.m.

Hello,

If I understand correctly, RRC is only a piece of a global solution and features like RPE are others bricks which forms the concrete solution. Is my hypothesis correct ? Is RPE free and easy to acquire ? Or does it cost money, and how ?

Thanks.

@eng

Bonjour,

Si je comprends bien, RRC n'est qu'un morceau d'une solution globale et des fonctionnalités comme celles de RPE sont d'autres briques qui forment la solution d'ensemble. Mon hypothèse est-elle correcte ? Est-ce gratuit et facile à acquérir ou cela coûte-t-il de l'argent ? Si oui, combien ?

Merci.

@fre

permanent link
Jean-claude Valla (623) | answered Jan 15 '14, 4:00 a.m.
Hello,

So, you confirm that it is impossible to create a custom report, only with basic RRC modules, except for the already available reports, if you don't buy the others RRC features ? Moreover, do you confirm that it is impossible to proceed another kind of R.O.I (Return Of Information) if you don't have access to those features ?

Thanks.

@eng

________________________________________________________________________________________

Bonjour,

Ainsi, vous confirmez qu'il est impossible de créer un rapport personnalisé, seulement avec les modules intégrés de base dans RRC, sauf pour les modèles de rapport déjà disponibles ? De plus, confirmez-vous qu'il est impossible d'effectuer un retour d'informations différent si vous n'avez pas accès à ces fonctionnalités ?

Merci.

@fre

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 15 '14, 10:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RRC V405 there are several types of out of the box report types, for example see

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-requirements-composer/releases/4.0.5?p=news#TOC_C

Now with Rational Reporting for Document Generation type reports you can make minor modifications (how it looks) to the Rational Publishing Engine Microsoft Word Document template on the server so that published word documents have that new look but you cannot add new data sources to the out of the box report without using Rational Publishing Engine (RPE) to create new templates and then making them available on the server.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrdg.usage.doc/topics/t_rrdg_make_reports_avail.html&scope=null

RPE is only needed in RRC to create/author the new template but not to run the report once it is loaded onto the server. For example say you have 2 RPE licenses one to author and one to test during the creation but no further license is needed by the business analysts to run the report templates uploaded on the server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.