It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

VVC Upgrade Failed 4.0.3 to 4.0.5

Andy Lapping (6838) | asked Jan 07 '14, 11:03 a.m.
I'm updating a 4.0.3 install (SSE+RELM) to 4.0.5 - I used the auto generated guide and the process went very smoothly until the final step - upgrading DM and VVC using a credentials.txt file:
The DM upgrade completed fine - but the VVC Upgrade failed with this message:

The VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand unexpectedly found the required parameter "adminUserId" to be null. Check the com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.commands extensio
n declaration in the file plugin.xml.
The VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand unexpectedly found the required parameter "adminPassword" to be null. Check the com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.commands extens
ion declaration in the file plugin.xml.
The VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand unexpectedly found the required parameter "certificateFile" to be null. Check the com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.commands exte
nsion declaration in the file plugin.xml.
The VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand unexpectedly found the required parameter "repositoryURL" to be null. Check the com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.commands extens
ion declaration in the file plugin.xml.
The VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand unexpectedly found the required parameter "smartCard" to be null. Check the com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.commands extension
declaration in the file plugin.xml.
CRJAZ1398I Loading credentials from 'credentials.txt'.
Starting upgrade process...
Upgrade did not complete successfully.  Please see vvc.log for more details.
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceException: CRJAZ1247E The request to the server failed.  The server returned the HTTP error 500 wi
th this error text: Internal Server Error.
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil.throwHttpClientError(ClientHttpUtil.java:1444)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil.executeHttpMethod(ClientHttpUtil.java:525)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil.executeHttpMethod(ClientHttpUtil.java:322)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil.executeHttpMethod(ClientHttpUtil.java:220)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.ClientHttpUtil.executeHttpMethod(ClientHttpUtil.java:229)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RestClientConnectionBase.executeMethod(RestClientConnectionBase.java:318)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RestClientConnectionBase.doMethod(RestClientConnectionBase.java:181)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RestClientConnectionBase.doGet(RestClientConnectionBase.java:122)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.TeamRawRestServiceClient$RawRestClientConnection.doGet(TeamRawRestServiceClient.java:96)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:611)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ServiceInterfaceProxy.invokeServiceCall(ServiceInterfaceProxy.java:254)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.ServiceInterfaceProxy.invoke(ServiceInterfaceProxy.java:110)
        at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.RawRestServiceClientProxy$RestClientConnectionProxy.invoke(RawRestServiceClientProxy.java:121)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy9.doGet(Unknown Source)
        at com.ibm.team.vvc.repotools.commands.upgrade.VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand.execute(VVCRemoteUpgradeCommand.java:72)
        at com.ibm.team.repotools.command.AbstractCommand.execute(AbstractCommand.java:66)
        at com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.internal.RepositoryToolsApplication.run(RepositoryToolsApplication.java:816)
        at com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.internal.RepositoryToolsApplication.start(RepositoryToolsApplication.java:891)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:611)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:620)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:575)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1408)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1384)

The following repeated in the vvc.log File (but it isn't timestamped so I cant be sure its related)

com.ibm.team.process.common.service.ProcessDataValidationException: CRJAZ6036E A project area already uses the name 'Global Space'.

Accepted answer

permanent link
W Diu (58026) | answered Jan 10 '14, 4:29 p.m.
edited Jan 10 '14, 4:32 p.m.

There is a known issue with upgrading certain versions of the Configuration Management application.  It is described here: VVC Upgrade step fails (43604).  Technotes have been planned.  To perform the upgrade, please request a test fix from IBM Support.

In your particular case, the uninitialized Global Space will have to be renamed before the upgrade will succeed.  To rename it:

1. Go to https://servername:port/vvc/admin#action=com.ibm.team.process.manageProjectAreas where servername is the name of the server and port is the port number (such as 9443).
  2. Locate the Global Space project and click on it.
  3. Type in a new name and click the Save button at the top right.

Andy Lapping selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andy Lapping commented Jan 13 '14, 4:02 a.m.

Thanks - yes I got a patch from support - simply renaming the space didnt work without that patch - but it's all good now

One other answer

permanent link
John Carolan (71616) | answered Jan 08 '14, 10:20 a.m.
Hi Andy,

I think you're on the right track wrt the existing project area called 'Global Space'.  The following WI describes a very similar looking stack trace, and in that case the user needed to rename the project in order to complete the upgrade:
https://jazz.net/jazz04/web/projects/Design%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=44013

John

Comments
Andy Lapping commented Jan 08 '14, 12:13 p.m.

Yes its something around that - I found a project in VVC called 'Global Space (uninitialized) - I renamed it and archived it. When I ran the upgrade script I got the same error - and a brand new project in VVC called 'Global Space (uninitialized).
I think its some rogue Configuration Space thats causing the problem:
If I click the 'initialize' icon next to the 'Global Space' project project - it throws an error that the configuration space Global Space already exists.

I tried checking the box 'Update the configuration space name to the name of the project area' - and it threw another error 'The configuration space could not be located' - aagh !

If you have any idea how to locate and delete that configuration space ...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.