It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are there any best JVM arguments for the JBE?

Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | asked Jan 07 '14, 11:02 a.m.
Right now we are using IBM Java instead of Oracle JAVA for the  JBE

Are there any best jvm arguments for the JBE to enable the builds run faster ?

Right now we don't have any JVM arguments

2 answers

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Jan 07 '14, 11:22 a.m.
Have you done any performance profiling of your build?

In my experience using the command line build definition, the only real work that the JBE's JVM is doing during my build is the source extract: the compilation & packaging activities are all performed via an external process. It seems to me that all of the build definitions would behave in the same way.

That's my long way of saying that I doubt there's much tweaking one can do on the JBE's JVM that would make much of a difference; you'd likely be better served looking at how the actual build JVM is configured.

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 07 '14, 11:52 a.m.

Jeff Care commented Jan 07 '14, 1:04 p.m.

From the linked question, that does seem to be a huge degradation.

My first thought would be I/O bottlenecks around logging. Are you invoking Ant with the option to send the logs directly to a file? If not that may help.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 13 '14, 7:41 a.m.

No but we are using ANT for build. ANT activities invoke the batch files etc. Do you know any other way to do profiling of ANT activities? 

Jeff Care commented Jan 13 '14, 11:41 a.m.

My memory is hazy but I have a vague recollection of a discussion on the Ant developer mailing list about a profiling listener.

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 13 '14, 12:05 p.m.

would be helpful if you have provide pointers :) IBM WAIT tool is way to complex for this IMO

Jeff Care commented Jan 13 '14, 2:40 p.m.

Try searching the Ant developer mailing list archive. Sorry, that's the best i can do.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Scott Cowan (966310) | answered Jan 07 '14, 11:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For the JBE process, we don't recommend any specific options for performance in general.  I'd only consider tweaking them if you've identified a specific problem that needs addressing.

To help identify what's making your JBE build run slower than you expect, I'd first run and profile the different steps of your build from the command line so they don't involve JBE at all.  This will help you see how much overhead JBE is adding to each step.  Then you have some numbers to begin an investigation with.

Comments

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 07 '14, 11:59 a.m.

To add to that, our observation is that the process via ANT is slower than if it's run directly on command prompt 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.