It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing a WorkItem Type from another Project Template

Etienne Laverdiere (2666) | asked Jan 03 '14, 8:42 a.m.
edited Jan 03 '14, 8:50 a.m.
Hello all, 

the post http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21472750 states that it is possible to import a Risk work Item Type from the standard project template to a Scrum Template.
The Scrum template can, however, be enhanced
with formal aspects if the enhancements are supported by the standard process customization. For 
example, a customer can add a custom work item type "Risk" to the Scrum template using the Risk 
work item type definition in the Formal template. 
How can I do that? When I add a new WorkItem Type in my Scrum Template, there's no way to navigate to the WorkItem Types other than the Scrum WorkItem Type already provide.

My need is simple, I have started a new Scrum Project Area, and I want to add the Risk Work Item type to the project area. I dont want to create it from scratch, but importe it from the basis template.

thx

Etienne

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 03 '14, 9:02 a.m.

there is no automated way to copy workitem types from one place to another.

also, project area templates are used to initialize a project space, but are not used after that. (so any changes are not reflected in existing projects)..
The only way to share project structure is to use the share project area function, but the base project has to be created (from a template).

4 answers

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Jan 03 '14, 10:01 a.m.
To create a new type will need to be done manually.  

i would suggest to open a RFE to see if this capability to copy a type from one process to another can be added in a future release.

permanent link
Etienne Laverdiere (2666) | answered Jan 03 '14, 9:58 a.m.
Thx Sam, so what is the manual way then? How can I add the Risk WorkItem Type in the Scrum template manually or not? The article describe exactly what I want to do, but it gives no way to do it. It only redirect to the home page of the RTC online help (RTC3).

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 03 '14, 10:03 a.m.

Unfortunately u have to view the workitem definition, attributes, presentations, etc..
and manually type it over again on the other project.

If you think you will want to do this again, save the target project xml source before any changes. then save it after you have it all working.. and then use XMLDiff to get a file of the differences..

with that differences file you can apply it to another project area with XMLPatch.
I did this for a custom workitem I developed in a sandbox. But I knew ahead of time I was going to want to do this.

permanent link
Etienne Laverdiere (2666) | answered Jan 03 '14, 10:10 a.m.
 Ok, I see. When you say manually, you mean from scratch. I already did that. But the article is stating that we can "use the Risk work item type definition in the Formal template. ". Basically, the risk definition is a file. Could I simply import or Copy/Paste the Risk Definition File into my scrum project? This should not be too hard to do?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jan 03 '14, 10:14 a.m.

risk is ONE workitem in the formal template, not the ONLY workitem.

you cannot merge templates, and cannot 'import' a template into an existing project.

you can CREATE a project from a template but that is all.

manually.. open two project/template configurations concurrently, view in one, click to other, 

click Add for workitem type,
repeat for attributes of workitem,
repeat for workflows of workitem
repeat for presentations of workitem.

etc.(back and forth)

permanent link
Etienne Laverdiere (2666) | answered Jan 03 '14, 10:27 a.m.
 Ok I see. Thx Sam for your quick answers.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.