It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Create work item copy" window's attributes can be hidden/removed from it?

kavita herur (5876594) | asked Jul 11 '13, 12:54 a.m.

Hi All,

I want to use "Create work item copy" option of right click menu  on current work item in eclipse client. But few attributes are read only in current work item I dont  want user to copy those to new WT. Is there any way to hide those attributes from window? Is it eclipse plug in should be modified?

Is there way in configuration I can remove those read only attributes from "Create work item copy" window.

Is it can be handled through server extensions? while creating new work item can I get context of new work item creation? Means Is new work ticket is getting created from "Create work item copy"  option/ programtically created? depending on context dont allow to save those read only attributes.

Please provide any suggestion.

Thanks,

Kavita

One answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jul 11 '13, 2:52 a.m.
Hi Kavita,  I don't have answers to all of your questions and I am not aware of any settings either but here are my thoughts. To me it appears that the "Create Work Item copy.." option gives you a choice to select or deselect the values of all the attributes that are not null in the source work item.
On the other hand, we all know the process flows and requirements keeps on changing. So, if there is a requirement tomorrow where you don't want to select some particular attributes irrespective of their values then your custom solution might need to be enhanced again and this might go on and on.
In my opinion, this is probably easier to handle as a part of user education.

Comments
kavita herur commented Jul 11 '13, 3:10 a.m.

Is there way to find out context of new work item creation server APIs any class member in ISaveParameter?

Indradri Basu commented Jul 11 '13, 5:25 a.m.

I would probably try this as a client side rather than a server side but I am not sure if I am missing something. I haven't tried anything similar, specially how to find the readonly attributes which can vary on WI type and state but I will take a look and post back if I can find something relevant.

kavita herur commented Jul 15 '13, 7:16 a.m.

I guess its not possible from client side. I have one more requirement along with this. "Create work Item copy" should allow only "ADMIN" to copy read only attributes to be copied.If users select those vaules to copy should show error message or copy null values.

Please let me know how Can I proceed?

Thanks,

Kavita

kavita herur commented Sep 15 '14, 4:31 a.m.

Any update on this?

Kavita

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.