It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question on doing a server rename of Insight

David Mehaffy (90123338) | asked Dec 16 '13, 11:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I need to rename the domain of my Insight server and have read through the instructions which are somewhat confusing (I have renamed clm several times so I understand how it works).
It looks like from reading the pre-server rename tasks that I am actually setting the server back to pre-setup state.  I see the serverrename.bat -generateURLMappings toFile=mappings.txt.

What I don't see is where I would do the inverse of this in the documentation?  Is this really necessary from the reset?  It looks like I could just run through the RRDI/setup process and accomplish the rename for that?

Otherwise I probably would do a serverrename.bat -importURLMappings fromFile=mappings.txt which is not really documented anywhere as it appears that RRDI using the bat file instead of invoking repotools.sh like in the clm rename scheme.

Appreciate clarification on the correct way to do this.

Thanks
Dave

Comments
Cheng-Yee Lin commented Jan 23 '14, 2:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The observation here is correct.  The rename of the Setup server (based on the Jazz Team Server) itself is going through a "reset" process.  It would essentially just require the user to re-register the user credential on the Setup server, while the configuration data input by the user previously would stay intact for access (i.e. the user input fields on the setup wizard pages would still be populated with those entered before).

Hope this helps.

David Mehaffy commented Jan 23 '14, 2:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So really I can just restore the empty derby database and change the its properties so it thinks it is a new setup and run through the setup dialog and that will essentially do the server rename.  The documentation talks about doing a clm like server rename - do the generate URLMappings but it never says anything about importing them back in.  I believe that is very confusing.  If what I say at the beginning can be done I think that is much clearer 

Cheng-Yee Lin commented Jan 23 '14, 2:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Actually, the "serverrename" operation is still required (notice that it is specific to RRDI/Insight, bot the Jazz Team Server).  The operation will go through the "user input" data (NOT in the derby-based repository Jazz Team Server uses) which may contain server name references, and make necessary changes due to the server rename.

David Mehaffy commented Jan 23 '14, 2:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

So my first note is the correct way.  Export the URLMappings, reset the derby database and its properties and then import the mappings file?  If so the documentation never says anything about doing the last step (it refers to the clm documentation but says nothing about the serverrename.bat file that was mentioned for the export).  I think the documentation needs to be updated if the first sentence in the comment is correct. 

Cheng-Yee Lin commented Jan 23 '14, 2:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The "importing" part of the URLMappings is described in a separate topic (the next topic in the same folder in the Info Center) -- Post-rename tasks

David Mehaffy commented Jan 23 '14, 2:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

ah that is in the 1.1.1.3 doc not the 1.1.1.2 doc that I was using. 

David Mehaffy commented Jan 23 '14, 2:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just read the 1.1.1.3 documentation - much clearer than the previous documents. 

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.