It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAM "Search Inside Artifact" Limitation

James Cheung (671116) | asked Dec 12 '13, 1:25 p.m.
Hi all,

I tried to upload around 2200+ visio files which is around 5.6GB in total size. Based on my search in this forum, it should not hit the size limitation. I divided the upload in several batches. Each batch is less than 500MB. The upload and searching were working before roughly the 1GB limit in the asset. Once, it passed the 1GB, the "Search Inside Artifacts" doesn't work for those newly uploaded files.

Questions on which I need your help:
1. What are the limitation on the asset size (5.6GB), no of artifacts (2200+ visio files) in an asset and search insider artifacts feature?
2. My goal is to upload 2200+ visio which is 5.6GB in 1 asset. Any workaround or tuning that I could try to achieve the upload as well as keeping the 'Search Inside Artifact' functioning? The 'Search Inside Artifact' is a wonderful great feature in our situation.
3. Can I reindex a particular asset? I am a user and not an administrator, but I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.
James

Accepted answer

permanent link
Roy yu (411) | answered Dec 16 '13, 10:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi James,

For question 1 and 2:
Go to the advancedConfiguration page and set up the Artifact indexer file limits and index timeout. You can decide what size the asset artifact you want to index and how long you want the index work for the large file. Note that the file limit is for one asset. For example, if you have 2000+ files in one asset, the size of one file is 100MB,  the limit should be set up to 2000*100MB, not 100MB.  I'm not sure how long the index timeout is appropriate for your situation. Maybe you could give it a test by yourself.  This page is not for normal user so there is no button on the page to click and go there. Put the url in your browser to get there. (http://XXX:8080/ram/admin/repository/advancedConfiguration.faces)

Question 3:
There is no way to re-index one asset. In this case i'm afraid that most of your artifact are not indexed. You need to re-build the whole repository or submit it again after configuring the artifact index.

Roy
James Cheung selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
James Cheung commented Dec 17 '13, 4:28 p.m.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the help.  
Our administrator increased that parameters to 6500MB. However, I experienced the same issue that once the asset total size exceeded around 1GB, the "Artifact search " didn't work.

1. Uploaded the following folders one by one. It is working. The total size is 1.02G
/CO
/Cross Regional
/GA
/HI
/MA
2. Upload another folder OH which is around 250MB. The 'Search artifact' is not working;
3. Delete the OH folder. The 'Search artifact' works again.

Is there any parameter that we can tune such that it can pass the 1GB boundary?

Best regards,
James

One other answer

permanent link
Roy yu (411) | answered Dec 17 '13, 8:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi James,

Except for increase the size limit, you also need to prolong the Artifact index timeout limit. If it is a remote artifact, increasing Remote artifact cache timeout is also necessary.  All these parameters are on the advancedConfiguration page.

For the step 2, what do you mean by 'Search artifact' is not working? Can you still search artifacts in old folders like /CO or /GA after uploaded the OH folder? 

Comments
James Cheung commented Dec 18 '13, 12:39 p.m.

Thanks again.

1. Right after we uploaded the OH folder, the search inside artifact features on the CO, GA and etc didn't work any more. Hence, it is all or nothing;
2. We increased the 'Artifact index timeout' from 60 to 120, but haven't tried the 'Remote artifact cache timeout'. I will ask for the administrator to change that and will try it out;
3. This is what I meant 'Search artifact' (should have said 'Artifact search') is not working.

If you think of anything that I can test and report back, please simply let me know.

Best regards,
James

James Cheung commented Dec 18 '13, 5:45 p.m.

Hi Roy,

By changing the following parameters, we can upload the asset (5.6GB) successfully with the 'Artifact search' functioning correctly. 

Artifact index timeout=120
Remote artifact cache timeout=120
Artifact indexer file limits=6500

Thanks for the big help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.