It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC Business Process Diagram Traceability

Ragi M.S. (133) | asked Dec 02 '13, 2:53 a.m.
edited Dec 02 '13, 3:35 a.m.

I am currently using RRC 4.0.3 web browser interface to create a bunch of business process diagrams. I also have a whole bunch of requirements, business needs and other artifacts.

Using the web editor, I was able to link each individual element inside the business process diagram (i.e. task or subtaks) to a specific requirement or artifact. However, after saving the business process diagram, all these links are defaulted back to the entire diagram (i.e. the artifacts are linked to the whole BPM instead of a specific box/task inside the diagram). I also tried using RPE to extract the links, but to no avail.

Is there any way I can produce such element-level linkages either using the RRC or RPE interface? At the end of the day, I want to have end-to-end traceability. Thanks!

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Dec 02 '13, 4:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If this is the behaviour, then you have a defect.  However, what *might* be puzzling is the links appear in the Links section of the process diagram on the left-hand side.

Try this again on a new diagram, and while in Edit mode, create a link to an element (use the menu item - link to other artifacts - that appears when you hover over the element so you know you have the link set correctly).  This will be confirmed when you use the hover again - and you will see a link is added to that element.  Now select Done to save the diagram and go out of edit mode.

You will see this link in the Links section for the Process Diagram - but it is linked to the element in the diagram you selected.  Confirm it is really linked by hovering over the process element when in view mode (ie not editing) - and you should see the link in the popup.

permanent link
Ragi M.S. (133) | answered Dec 02 '13, 5:52 a.m.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was using IE before and now I reverted back to Firefox. I am now able to create a link from an individual task inside a diagram to another artifact. I am also able to view this link both in the "Edit" mode as well as in the "Normal" mode when I hover over the task element.

But now, I am facing another problem. When I hover over the external artifact, it shows a link only to the business process diagram and not the individual task element.

In other words, when I hover over the task element, I can see the link to the external artifact (in both the "Edit" and the normal mode). But, when I hover over the external artifact, I can only see the link to the business process diagram and not the individual task element.

I am not sure if this partial fix would be sufficient to generate a good traceability report in RPE (the in-built RRC traceability report only shows a link between the diagram and the artifact). Any ideas?

Thanks once again for your reply!

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Dec 02 '13, 3:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am running 4.0.4 - so your behaviour may be different.  Say I linked my task A to a requirement B, When I look at requirement B, my Links section has the link with the name of the task in brackets eg: "Related to Process Diagram (Task A)".  The text "(Task A)" only appears when I look at the link in the Links section of the linked requirement (requirement B) - it has not altered the link name in any way.

Not sure how you can generate the info in a report - perhaps someone who knows more about RPE can help us.

anthony

permanent link
Ragi M.S. (133) | answered Dec 03 '13, 4:23 a.m.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your reply. I can now view the links just as you described them in the "Links" section. BTW, this also works in RRC 4.0.1.

But the strange thing is that the information about the task is not visible anywhere else inside RRC. For instance, the links explorer merely displays a link between the requirement and the business process diagram.

I have also tinkered around with the RPE schema, but I cannot find any reference to the task name. There is a TaskURI, but that doesn't seem to store task-specific links.

Calling out to any RPE/RRC experts out there?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.