It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Detailed help or man-pages of scm sub-commands

p m n (271913) | asked Nov 25 '13, 7:07 p.m.
edited Nov 25 '13, 7:10 p.m.
Is there a way to get the detailed help for any SCM command. Currently when I try "scm help" all I get is command synopsis *without* any examples. Is there a -verbose/-all option I'm missing to use? Example given below.

pmn@rhel-vt> scm help workspace delete
Help on workspace delete
Deletes a workspace or stream.
Aliases: del, d
Usage: scm workspace delete [options] <workspace>
  workspace - The workspace or stream to delete. To specify the workspace or stream, use its name, alias or UUID.
Options:
  --certificate arg            - The file that contains the user's login certificate.
  --smartCard                  - Uses the connected smart card for authentication.
  -b [--backup-workspace] arg  - The workspace or stream to associate with the backup snaphsot. To specify this workspace or stream, use its name[@repo], alias, or UUID[@repo].
  -P [--password] arg          - The password for the repository.
  -r [--repository-uri] arg    - The URI that specifies the location of the repository.
  -u [--username] arg          - The username for the repository.
pmn@rhel-vt>
As you can see, there are no examples of how to use this command. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Nov 25 '13, 10:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
p m n selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
p m n commented Nov 26 '13, 5:56 p.m.
Thanks, Shashikant. BTW, I use V4.0 (Build Id: RTC-I20120612-0919) and corresponding CLI version (from scm -v) "com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client, version 3.1.0.v20120519_2357". How do I find the detailed examples for this version?  The set of subcommands and their options in this version vary quite a bit from the list given in the URL. 

BTW, is there a plan to add detailed examples right into the command help? This IMHO is needed because 
1. With the various versions of RTC that are out there in use, users will have a definitive place to look to for help. 
2. The help becomes self-contained. 
3. It is the norm in UNIX-like systems to have all the details of commands contained in their man pages. 

Just my two cents... 

2 other answers

permanent link
p m n (271913) | answered Nov 26 '13, 5:54 p.m.
Thanks, Shashikant. BTW, I use V4.0 (Build Id: RTC-I20120612-0919) and corresponding CLI version (from scm -v) "com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client, version 3.1.0.v20120519_2357". How do I find the detailed examples for this version?  The set of subcommands and their options in this version vary quite a bit from the list given in the URL. 

BTW, is there a plan to add detailed examples right into the command help? This IMHO is needed because 
1. With the various versions of RTC that are out there in use, users will have a definitive place to look to for help. 
2. The help becomes self-contained. 
3. It is the norm in UNIX-like systems to have all the details of commands contained in their man pages. 

Just my two cents...

Comments
Shashikant Padur commented Nov 28 '13, 5:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

p m n commented Nov 30 '13, 7:31 p.m.

Thanks for point that out, Shashikant.

BTW, this workitem was logged in Sep 2012 - more than an year ago. Do you know if this work is going to be targeted for an upcoming release? IMHO, fixing this will actually reduce the amount of trivial command-usage type questions that are being currently submitted to this forum and will help you guys focus on more important enhancements and bug-fixes. Again, just my two cents :)

permanent link
p m n (271913) | answered Nov 30 '13, 7:30 p.m.

Thanks for point that out, Shashikant.

BTW, this workitem was logged in Sep 2012 - more than an year ago. Do you know if this work is going to be targeted for an upcoming release? IMHO, fixing this will actually reduce the amount of trivial command-usage type questions that are being currently submitted to this forum and will help you guys focus on more important enhancements and bug-fixes. Again, just my two cents :)

Comments
Shashikant Padur commented Dec 01 '13, 9:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, we have it in our radar but cannot confirm when or in which release this will be implemented. You can track the status of this workitem by subscribing to it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.