It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

If I have the NTP server set on my network do I need to worry about the warnings in the jts server?

Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | asked Oct 23 '13, 11:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I see this warning in my jts, ccm etc diagnostics pages.
CRJAZ2108W An NTP server is not configured to use for system clock verification. If unsynchronized clocks are on different application servers, problems might occur. To configure the NTP server to be used to verify the accuracy of the system clock, go to the Advanced Properties page, and for the NTP Server Address property, enter the address of an NTP server. To disable this diagnostic, click Disable.
If I have the Server OS configured to use an NTP server is this sufficient or does RTC have something internal that it uses? If I have one set on the OS should I see that error? If I configure it in my applications will that override what I have set on the server?

2 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Oct 23 '13, 12:29 p.m.
From my experience we do have an hourly "ping" to check/set the date from an ntp server, only a very few of the applications have the NTP server configured.  My thinking is that the NTP checking in jazz is simply there to inform adminstrators that  things are OK with respect to time.   I haven't had any questions regarding timestamps that are inserted into various artifacts in 4+ years.

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Oct 23 '13, 12:35 p.m.
NTP synchronization has been added in 3.0. As far as I remember we had had couple of PMRs where the root cause was timestamp issues (for full text indexes if I remember correctly). You can ask @ejodet or @celek who remember these old times :)

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Oct 23 '13, 12:40 p.m.

Q:  Is this NTP synchronization done "internally" ?  i.e. the jazz application queries NTP and makes its own adjustments.

We don't run our processes with an ID that could adjust the system clock using NTP.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.