It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Story points vs. task time spent

James Porter (26166) | asked Feb 15 '09, 12:43 p.m.
I want to compare the story points for a story to the number of hours spent on the task to complete the story.

Both tasks and stories are work items. Tasks are children of Stories. Stories have the story points. Tasks have the hours (time spent).

The ONLY place I can seem to see both stories and their tasks is in the backlog report, and I can't seem to customize that view, nor can I export it into something like a spreadsheet.

Reports I generate can only report on the work item -- I cannot include any parent or child information in the result column.

Gosh darn it -- all the information is IN there. I just can't figure out how to get it out without a lot of manual transcription.

Suggestions?

8 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 16 '09, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I want to compare the story points for a story to the number of hours spent on the task to complete the story.

Both tasks and stories are work items. Tasks are children of Stories. Stories have the story points. Tasks have the hours (time spent).

The ONLY place I can seem to see both stories and their tasks is in the backlog report, and I can't seem to customize that view, nor can I export it into something like a spreadsheet.

Reports I generate can only report on the work item -- I cannot include any parent or child information in the result column.

Gosh * it -- all the information is IN there. I just can't figure out how to get it out without a lot of manual transcription.

Suggestions?

Hi James

Have you tried writing a BIRT report? This should be able to collate the data (but have to admit I have not tried to build such a report)

anthony

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered Feb 17 '09, 12:18 p.m.

The only thing I'd say to this is that Mike Cohn strongly recommends never trying to correlate actual time spent on user stories to the original story points. I don't have the Agile Estimating and Planning book in front of me, but if I recall, this advice is to avoid story points losing their goal of being measures of complexity that are independent of time. I recommend the book, it's a good read.

Kieron

permanent link
James Porter (26166) | answered Feb 17 '09, 12:59 p.m.

The only thing I'd say to this is that Mike Cohn strongly recommends never trying to correlate actual time spent on user stories to the original story points. I don't have the Agile Estimating and Planning book in front of me, but if I recall, this advice is to avoid story points losing their goal of being measures of complexity that are independent of time. I recommend the book, it's a good read.

Kieron

I am well aware of that guideline, and I agree... HOWEVER -- my intent is to uncover gross inaccuracies in story points, not to convert story points into person-hours. Here's the scenario.

Story A is assigned 3 points.
Story B is assigned 5 points.
Story C is assigned 8 points.

If I'm using the poker planning sequence, then Story B should be approximately twice as complex as Story A, and Story C should be almost three times as complex.

Now -- if I discover at the end of the sprint that my team spent these hours completing the stories:

Story A - 3 story points, 30 hours
Story B - 5 story points, 50 hours
Story C - 8 story points, 8 hours (not a typo. 8 hours, not 80)

Then I would say that I grossly overestimated the complexity of Story C (or, equally possible, I grossly underestimated Stories A and B), and I want to know why. Did our team ignore work already done? Did we read more into the story than the customer really wanted? Do we have a genius on the team who should be cloned? Or for the underestimated tasks -- did I forget some design work? external integration? testing efforts?

If my story points don't have some level of accuracy, then I can never establish a good team velocity. One sprint we'll do 20 points, the next 50, and the next 5. Comparing the MAGNITUDE of actual hours to the MAGNITUDE of estimated points gives me a qualitative feel for the degree of accuracy in my story points.

permanent link
James Porter (26166) | answered Feb 18 '09, 10:24 a.m.

Hi James

Have you tried writing a BIRT report? This should be able to collate the data (but have to admit I have not tried to build such a report)

anthony

Okay - I found BIRT and have it installed, and I can work through creating new reports, BUT -- it would be really helpful if I could find documentation on the data models for the "Jazz Data Source". Anyone have a source for that?

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered Feb 19 '09, 5:50 a.m.

Okay - I found BIRT and have it installed, and I can work through creating new reports, BUT -- it would be really helpful if I could find documentation on the data models for the "Jazz Data Source". Anyone have a source for that?

I think this is what you're looking for: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DataWarehouseSnapshotSchemas

Hope that helps.
Kieron

permanent link
James Porter (26166) | answered Feb 19 '09, 8:02 a.m.

I think this is what you're looking for: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DataWarehouseSnapshotSchemas

Hope that helps.
Kieron

That's exactly what I was looking for, and I learned that the Snapshots do not expose to BIRT what I need. To actually get what I need, I would need to create new snapshots, and/or expose the "live" tables to BIRT. The twiki explains how...

But now I need access to the data schema for the live tables, not the snapshots. I browsed the wiki, but missed it if there...

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Feb 19 '09, 6:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi James,

In 1.0.1.1, we exposed the links table. This table allows you to see links between work items (Stories and their children).

Can you please describe to me formally what input does this report take?

And what output output should it produce?

In 2.0 M2, we will be exposinga a lot more data (Especially live data).

permanent link
James Porter (26166) | answered Feb 19 '09, 8:52 p.m.
Hi James,

Can you please describe to me formally what input does this report take?

And what output output should it produce?

Back at the start of this thread I explained my problem.

I want to query tasks that are the child of stories whose status is "Done". I can create that query now. However, in the result layout, I wish to show:

task ID
task summary
task time spent
Parent story ID
Parent Story summary
Parent Story Points

While the query builder will let me use parental values in the "where clause", it will not allow me to use any parental values in the results.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.