It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Need help choosing which applications to register

Jeff Berman (1535) | asked Jun 02 '16, 7:55 p.m.
Hi, I've installed JTS 6.0.2 and am at the setup wizard screen where you choose which applications to install.  I have spent considerable time trying to research what each one does, in order to make an informed decision, but I'm still not 100% on them.  For example, I can't tell the difference between the purpose of the Data Collection Component and the Lifecycle Query Engine -- they both seem to collect data from other applications.

My first question is: If I don't register an application at setup time, can I later register and start using it?  And the reverse: if I register it now and later decide we don't need it, can I unregister it without any ill effects?

As for the applications, all we're really trying to do is manage code lines, check out/in code, and do product builds.  Maybe a report here or there.  We only have a few developers.  Any suggestions as to which of these are really necessary?
  • Change and Configuration Management
  • Quality Management
  • Requirements Management
  • Global Configuration Management
  • Engineering Lifecycle Manager
  • Data Collection Component
  • Link Index Provider
  • Report Builder
  • Lifecycle Query Engine
So far, I'm thinking we'd need Change and Configuration Management, Global Configuration Management, Report Builder and maybe Lifecycle Query Engine. Do some of these applications border on the esoteric, or do people generally install everything?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jun 03 '16, 12:09 a.m.
edited Jun 07 '16, 9:23 p.m.
Hi, Jeff

Definitely you will need CCM(Change and Configuration Management) . It depends if the development requires
testing and requirements, you may need quality management(QM) and requirement management(RM).
Unless you want to do versioning QM and RM, you don't need to have GC(
Global Configuration Management).
If GC is not used, then LDX(
Link Index Provider) is not necessary. Report builder seems to be required as you need report. Engineering Lifecycle Manager(RELM) is not required in your scenario.

Lifecycle Query Engine (LQE) supports two key concepts. The first is a more live method of
building reports for your project based on a reporting index rather than a data warehouse. DCC(Data Collection Component) is used for data warehouse. So if your team needs data from historic trend
data, you will need DCC. The different organization may prefer different way for report resource.

The second concept provided by LQE is the ability to support CLM projects that are using the Opt In for
Configuration Management. if GCM is not an application for your team, this is not the reason you need to consider
for using LQE.

If you need other applications, you can add(install) and register to jts later on. I hope these info helps to start with.
thanks
Jeff Berman selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jeff Berman commented Jun 06 '16, 1:07 p.m.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a complete answer, Don.  That really helped a lot!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.