It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't poll SCM accept changes from a stream?

Rainy John (381226) | asked Oct 02 '13, 8:38 a.m.
edited Jun 20 '19, 3:42 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

I am trying to automate my build by pointing to a stream. My requirement is that whenever changes are delivered to my stream, build should be triggered.

I am using Jenkins poll scm option to trigger the build. But it is failing. It is asking to give a workspace.

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented Oct 09 '13, 4:13 a.m.

can you please share the way you are triggering the build, and also the exact error message?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Oct 27 '13, 1:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Assuming you're using the Team Concert plugin for Jenkins, the job needs to be configured to use RTC SCM, then you need to point it at either a build workspace (SCM only) or a build definition (SCM + Build integration).  In the latter case, it's the build definition that points to which build workspace to use.  The build workspace should be configured to flow to the stream from which changes are to be built.  You can then set the frequency with which to poll for changes in the Jenkins job.

Rainy John selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Oct 10 '13, 3:08 a.m.
Hi Rainy,

For doing something everytime changes get delivered to a stream you need a follow up action on "deliver".
This follow up action should be placed to this stream and should start a build.

In a build definition you have to define a workspace - this cannot be changed (as I know).

This means you are connected to the Stream with your workspace.
All changes which are delivered to your stream are not incoming changes within this workspace in need only to be accepted before the build begins.
This can be configured within the build definition:

Combined with the follow-up action this would build the latest changes on the stream each time a change appears.

Hope this helps,
Simon

Comments
Simon Eickel commented Oct 10 '13, 3:10 a.m.

another possibility is to set the scheduler to some secs / mins and to define within the build definition that it should only build if there are accepted changes.

Then it would poll the Stream within the defined time range for changes and only if there are changes the build would start.

permanent link
Balu Pillai (1314) | answered Jun 20 '19, 11:45 a.m.

Only if using the deliver hook (post commit script to trigger the Jenkins job) would have been simpler to use. Then polling would not have been necessary. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.