It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to prevent users from creating personal queries?

Natsumi Yokoyama (209387101) | asked Sep 30 '13, 10:48 p.m.
edited Sep 30 '13, 11:44 p.m.

Hi,

Is it possible to prevent users from creating personal queries? My customer needs to keep certain users, who can create some workitems, from creating presonal queries.

I verified that if a "save query" is not granted, the user can create and update personal queries. When this user try to update shared queries, that operation is not allowed.

Is there any way to prevent users from creating personal queries?

My customer ueses RTC 4.0.3.

Natsumi

Thank you in advance

Comments
Martin Wassermann commented Oct 01 '13, 4:02 a.m. | edited Oct 01 '13, 4:12 a.m.

I'm interested in that topic too. Addition it is interesting for me if it's possible to prevent that a user to run a shared query that he has modified without saving.

2 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Oct 01 '13, 4:14 a.m.
I don't think this is possible. RTC is a tool aimed at collaboration, so we do not restrict collaboration by turning off features. Data security is obtained at data level, i.e., you can restrict some users from viewing certain workitems, so that they do not pop up in query results.

Can you please elaborate why do you not want users to run personal queries?

Comments
Martin Wassermann commented Oct 01 '13, 4:30 a.m.

@paniola For legal reasons. For some companies it is important that the company can't use the tool to measure the efficiency of the workers. Especially in companies who have a worker's council this could be a valid precondition for using RTC.

Andrew Trobec commented Oct 01 '13, 5:07 a.m.

@wassermann

what about limiting visibility of work items by using team areas?

there is more than one way to extract information, even if this means opening each work item individually and copying data into excel...

Martin Wassermann commented Oct 01 '13, 5:14 a.m. | edited Oct 01 '13, 5:17 a.m.

Limiting visibility doesn't really help (see my comment beneath)

Yes, you can manually copy all work item in excel or run an export. But for the worker's council of my customer it is important that the company can't use the tool itself for efficiency measurement. And running user-defined queries is a simple way to compare the members of the team.

PS: I think that a typicall challange of some german companies.

Natsumi Yokoyama commented Oct 01 '13, 9:27 p.m.

In my case, what customer wants to do is to implement a ticket management system in their application maintenance department.

The scenario what customer wants to do is following.

There are two types of project areas in RTC. One is a project area for ticket management, others are for application development. The project area for ticket management is shared with LOB and application development teams.

In this project area, at first, LOB's member creates a ticket. After a leader of  dev team updates some estimated workload information on this workitem, dev team does not want to share only this information with LOB. (This requirement is another issue to implement.)

Offcourse,  actual and detailed workload information is managed as tasks or defects in other project area for application developmet . But some information about estimated workload is needed to be managed per ticket. Bucause of reporting requirements and so on.

I understood above scenario is difficult to implement using RTC. I want to show them workaround.

Natsumi

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k479103) | answered Oct 01 '13, 4:40 a.m.
Hi Martin and Natsumi,
You can try using workitem visibility restriction function: https://jazz.net/library/article/554/

Let us know if it helps you.

Comments
Martin Wassermann commented Oct 01 '13, 4:51 a.m.

But that's something different. The work item visibility restriction doesn't prevent e.g. a Project Manager to create and run queries to measure the efficiency of his team.
To prevent this he should only run predefined queries. And for some of my customers that is an important feature. Is it possible to write a RTC extension that prevents a user from running modified queries?

Natsumi Yokoyama commented Oct 01 '13, 9:44 p.m.

Hi, Krzysztof and Martin

Thank you for your comments. My understanding is that "visibility restriction" controlles visibility per workitem.

Is there any workarround to controlle visibility per attribute and role(or team)?

Natsumi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.