It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to make a mandatory field in RTC no longer mandatory?

Ryan McBryde (5911233) | asked Sep 27 '13, 10:14 a.m.

RTC version = 4.0.2

I have a field that shows up as mandatory when I create a Work Request.  I would to remove the field compelely but am concerned that removing a field that is mandatory might cause a problem.

I am trying to find where the field is made mandatory so that I can remove it's requiredness.  I realize that I might not have to remove the requiredness to actually remove the field but this inverstigation has made me curious.

The process configuration for the project area involved comes from master configuration in another project area but I cannot find anything in the Team Configuration - Operation behavior in either the master project area or the child that addresses that particular field.  I can't find anything that addresses a particular field's requiredness anywhere in the Process Configuration.

Thank you

3 answers

permanent link
Ryan McBryde (5911233) | answered Sep 27 '13, 1:45 p.m.

Thanks Everyone:

My project was based on another project, the Master, so the first thing was that I was looking in the wrong place; the child project area instead of the master.

Once I realized that I dug into the master and found what I was looking for, after checking my error message that said it had to do with a “Save Work Item (Server)” and that “Required Attributes for Type and State” were not met.

It was under the Team Configuration (not sure why it’s not in the Project Config, but oh well).

Operation Behavior:

In the Operations column, find the Work Items section and the Save Work Items (server) section under there.

In the Everyone column there is an icon indicating that there is Operation Behavior selected for the Save Work Items (server) row.

Click on it and it should put a check box in the “Preconditions and follow-up actions are configured for this operation”

That should cause a list of Preconditions, that have been already set, to show up in the Preconditions box.

I selected “Required Attributes for Type and State” and on the right side of the page a list “Category or Type” and associated Attributes was displayed.

This is where it got even more confusing.

I expanded the “com.xxx.xxx.category.workrequest” item which gave me a list of all the states and there were NO attributes selected for any of them.  Confusing.

After searching around some more I went back to that screen and found at the end of the list of states for the “com.acn.adt2.category.workrequest” item there was another expandable item for the work item thta had beenb defined using the standard work request as a foundation. 

And there I found the list of fields that are required for each state!

Persistence rewarded!

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11319) | answered Sep 27 '13, 12:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ryan,

The requiredness of attribute value is defined in the 'Required Properties' pre-condition of the 'Save work item' operation. Do you have any team areas associated with the categories of the project? If so, you may want to check Team Configuration - Operation behavior in the team  and see if it is defined there.

Operation Behavior can also be configured at the iteration level. You may want to check it there as well.

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Sep 27 '13, 1:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Looking in the process configuration (for a default Scrum project), I see a section towards the bottom of the process xml where the requiredProperties precondition is specified (see below). Are you able to review the process xml from the master and derived process templates?

<behavior>
   <role id="default">
       <operation id="com.ibm.team.workitem.operation.workItemSave">
           <preconditions>
               <precondition xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.workitem/requiredProperties" description="Work items must be Filed Against a specific category and a Summary must be provided so that the team can quickly evaluate who is responsible for the issue." id="com.ibm.team.workitem.advisor.requiredProperties" name="Required Attributes For Type and State">
                   <properties workItemTypeCategory="com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType">
                       <property id="com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.summary"/>
                       <property id="com.ibm.team.workitem.attribute.category"/>
                   </properties>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.