It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Open build result files in web browser?

Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | asked Sep 13 '13, 12:18 p.m.
I have several HTML files that I am associating with my builds results via the build toolkit (artifactFilePublisher). When viewing the build result in the Eclipse client these files always open as in an editor instead of in the browser. I've tried both "application/html" and "test/html" as the MIME type.

Is there a way to coerce the build result viewer to show these files as rendered HTML instead of HTML source?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 16 '13, 5:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 16 '13, 5:24 a.m.
Hi Jeff,

if you upload the files, they need to be downloaded and opened locally. This article [ https://jazz.net/library/article/797 ] describes how you can publish your build results using a Http server. You basically don't upload these files but link them to the build result while publishing them on the HTTP server. If you do that, you also want to look at this article [ https://jazz.net/library/article/807 ].

Comments
Jeff Care commented Sep 16 '13, 9:05 a.m.

I realize that what you're saying can be done, but I think that's an awfully heavyweight solution to what should be an easy requirement.

To go the route you've suggested I now need to have a departmental HTTP server (didn't need one until now, don't want to have one at all), I need to somehow replicate the access controls on the builds results from RTC to the HTTP server, AND keep them up to date. Deal with all of the corporate security nonsense that having such a server would entail.

Or the RTC client can inspect the MIME type of an uploaded artifact and open it in an appropriate viewer/editor. Or give me right-click options like the package explorer does and let me pick my own editor.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 16 '13, 9:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jeff,

yes, I agree to your assessment. Therefore I created Enhancement 165240 a while back. Please go ahead and express your desire on that work item or in a new enhancement request. The article does address several other use cases and it is, as far as I know, a simplified version of how the development team does it for our products. It is also the only solution I am aware of to handle the issue you describe in your question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.