It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM RAF was_common_create_cluster and cluster members

Gerald Gordon (7011419) | asked Sep 11 '13, 3:27 p.m.
 Greetings,

I have a WAS ND 7.0.0.23 test environment with one server and one cluster. 
  1.  I imported this topology into RAF 3.0.0.1 using the Env Gen Wizard.  
  2.  I also imported my Production Environment which has several clusters into RAF using the Env Gen Wizard.  
  3. I tried to use was_common_cluster_create lib on #2 to export cluster info to #1, but I could not satisfy the criteria to export using the RAF Eclipse Client.
My goal is to  export/create some of the clusters found in #2 into my test environment #1.  Which reside on two different cells.

Can anyone give me some advice/steps on achieving this goal using RAF?  I don't want to manually add the cluster and members to my test environment.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Sep 12 '13, 7:44 a.m.
Hello Gerald,

From what I gather, you are trying to "promote" The prod environment, into your test environment? 

I think the action you are talking about is was_common_configure_create_cluster. This is only supported in execute. 

To import a cell, node or server. You would use was_common_configure_all in import mode. Just specify different scopes for your desired target. In order to import the cluster information, you will need to run was_common_configure_server_all. This action is supported at the Cluster and Server scope. So for example

Server:
rafw.sh/ -env xxxxxxx -cell xxxxxxxx -node xxxxxxxx -server xxxxxxxxx -import was_common_configure_server_all 

Cluster:
rafw.sh/ -env xxxxxxx -cell xxxxxxxx -cluster xxxxxxxxx -import was_common_configure_server_all 

This action will be ran, which will build the server.xml which is needed in order to promote the configuration. Since these are the actions that you used to import the data, you can also use this action to promote that data. Same action, just instead of -import, it's -promote. Promoting at the cluster level. 

I would run was_common_conmfigure_server_all at the server scope, then the cluster scope. Then use the same action to promote the data to your new server specified by the -opt source.env=xxxxxx. For example Promote cluster A to B

rafw.sh/ -env B -cell B -node B -server B -promote was_common_configure_server_all -opt source.env=A -opt source.cell=A -opt source.node=A -opt source.server=A

You can specify what you want to promote and the source of where you are going to get the configuration information for that cluster. 

If you are planning on only adding and removing certain things from a certain scope or server, you will also want to review augment mode. So is that you don't end up over writing an existing server config with a partial. 

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rafhelp/v3r0/topic/com.ibm.raf.common.doc/topics/c_augment_overview.html?resultof=%22augment%22%20%22mode%22

As a last note. You will want to run was_common_configure_create_cluster, your second step could be the import of one server or cluster. Again, the cluster promote needs server.xml. So you would need to run this at the scope of the cluster member or server and then at the cluster level. The out of the box automation plan import has examples. You will need to have a server/cluster created in order to promote to it. But you don't have to do it by hand. 

I hope that helps clear things up. 
Let us know if you have additional questions. 
Thanks!
Gerald Gordon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Gerald Gordon commented Sep 12 '13, 8:34 a.m.

Thank you so much for your solution.  I will try this out soon.  And share the results.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.