It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating Sub Project or Child Projects in RQM

Kathirvel S (1056) | asked Aug 26 '13, 9:52 a.m.

How can we set up the project structure in RQM for a project which has got multiple work streams like Worksteam A , Workstream B etc.,? Do we need to set up separate projects in RQM for each of these work streams or can we set up a main project say ‘Project ABC’ and then create sub projects under it for different work streams? Is it possible to create sub projects in RQM?

Regards,

Kathirvel.S

One answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Aug 27 '13, 8:02 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sub-projects are not supported in RQM.  Could you explain what you mean by 'work stream'?  Are they releases/milestones/deliveries?

Comments
Kathirvel S commented Aug 27 '13, 9:32 a.m.

Hi Paul - I need to have a main project 'A' under which there are multiple areas like A1,A2,A3 etc., which need to be created as sub projects.I have just given the name 'work stream' for example.My requirement is straight forward.I want to create one main project and then need to have several sub projects under it.For each of these sub projects , I need to have a separate test plan.

From your response , i understand that sub projects are not supported in RQM.Can you please advise me if there is any other way to achieve my requirement?

Regards,

Kathirvel.S

Paul Slauenwhite commented Aug 28 '13, 8:04 a.m. | edited Aug 28 '13, 8:05 a.m.

Hi Kathirvel,

As mentioned, sub-projects are not supported in RQM.  It appears you could use the same project with separate test plans (test plans can also be nested in a parent/child relationship) and custom categories to denote test artifacts (e.g. test cases) from the various 'work streams'.

Kathirvel S commented Aug 29 '13, 9:46 a.m.

Thanks Paul for the inputs.I am now checking the below approaches and facing challenges.Please see if you can help with some inputs on the configuration file.

Approach 1 - Create separate team areas for all the workstreams under the main project area.These team areas will be considered as worstreams.Once the team areas are created , import the test cases through RQM excel importer and map these test cases with the corresponding team area so that it is accessible only to that particular team area members.The challenge that I am facing in this approach is that I am not sure how to add the entries in the configuration file to link the test cases automatically with the team area during import process.

Kathirvel S commented Aug 29 '13, 9:47 a.m.

Approach 2 – Create a main project area ->Create separate test plans for each of the workstreams under this project area ->Import the test cases through the RQM excel importer and map these test cases with the corresponding existing test plans.But I am not sure how to add the entries in the configuration file to link the test cases with the existing test plans.

Regards,

Kathirvel.S

Kathirvel S commented Aug 30 '13, 7:37 a.m.

For the approach 2 mentioned by me , I have done changes to the configuration file as below:

testcase.testplan=LinkExisting(A2)

A2 is the cell in the excel which contains the name of the test plan already existing in RQM and it worked.

Please help me on the approach 1.

Regards,

Kathirvel.S

Paul Slauenwhite commented Aug 30 '13, 9:00 a.m.

Hi Kathirvel,

Both approaches will work.  My preference was for approach 2 for simplicity. 

For the RQM Excel/Word Importer question related to approach 2, see the following sample (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Document_Configuration):

Testplan_Testcase_Testscript_TER_Environment_Iteration_AllInOne.cfg

Sirisha t commented May 13 '14, 8:27 a.m. | edited May 13 '14, 8:42 a.m.

Hi Kathirvel,
Have you succeeded following first approach?We are facing similar issue in our project. Please provide the steps followed. Which one is better and feasible to use?

-Thanks in Advance.

Kathirvel S commented May 14 '14, 3:13 a.m. | edited May 14 '14, 3:14 a.m.

Hi Sirisha - We haven't implemented the approach 1 as it's not that easy to update the configuration file.Hence , we went ahead with approach 2 where we achieved our requirement by creating multiple test plans for different work streams. I would suggest to use approach 2 which is better.

Regards,

Kathirvel Subramaniam

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.