It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to require a new Work Item as a part of a delivery?

Kevin Conway (4368) | asked Aug 23 '13, 3:53 p.m.
 Hi:

I believe that the answer is likely no, so I am more asking for confirmation that to find a way of doing this.

In ClearCase,a ll deliveries would require a "defect" (work item).  This is really nice as it gives opportunity to enforce workflow rules and do tracking.  It seems that in RTC, once a changeset has been attached to a work item, the condition by which a work item is required for delivery is met in perpetuity for all subsequent deliveries.

is there something I am missing whereby I can enforce that a new work item is required for each subsequent delivery?

Thanks.

kjc

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 24 '13, 12:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC, you would enforce a stream specific delivery process by having stream specific requirements on the work item being delivered (such as by using the "Require Work Items to Match Query" precondition).   For example, each stream could require a stream-specific tag exist on the work item, or a stream-specific property value appear in some custom multi-valued property.

WRT requiring a "new" work item for each delivery, how would you determine whether a work item has already been used for an earlier delivery?    In ClearCase, a delivery actually creates a new change-set (that contains the versions created in the destination stream), so a new work item is always required, while in RTC, no new change-set is created for a delivery.

Comments
Kevin Conway commented Aug 26 '13, 11:25 a.m.

That's the issue I'm having, there is no way for me to force a new changeset thereby I can't have a  new work item.  I tried to the work items query solution - it simply does not work.

Ideally, what I want is to have a task work item that is associated to the delivery of code.  It's to allow better traceability and auditing of work that has been done.

Tim Mok commented Aug 26 '13, 11:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You may want to look into ways where a user cannot reuse an old work item instead of forcing a user to create a new work item. There are existing preconditions that can help with this.

Kevin Conway commented Aug 26 '13, 4:09 p.m.

Yup.  I'm blocking them from reusing work items.  That's been handled.

ideally, we want to be able to point to a task to trace deliveries of baselines.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 26 '13, 10:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you provide some more information on why a work items query solution "simply does not work"?   In particular, can you provide examples of what specifically you want to track, or what specific workflow you want to enforce?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.