It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.3 Server - usage with 3.0.1.1 client

VK L (8177155159) | asked Aug 22 '13, 8:11 a.m.
 Hi All,
            I understand that both RTC 3.0.1.X Clients and 4.0.x clients can be used on a 4.0.3 server for e.g. What are the differences in using the 2 different clients - will we miss any feature (or) functionality when using 3.0.1.1 client on a 4.0.3 server?

Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 22 '13, 8:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

N-1 compatibility will only allow old clients to work against the newer server. If there are features in the newer client, you won't have them in the old client. For example new client side operational behavior.

If you use older and newer clients together, I would suggest to try not to mix the Eclipse workspaces. E.g. use one Eclipse workspace with 3.x and another with 4.x. I happened to open a workspace for 3.x with 4.x - which worked - but then I was unable to open it with 3.x again. I am not sure what the cause was, just want to suggest to be careful.

Comments
VK L commented Aug 22 '13, 9:26 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '13, 9:35 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. We are planning to use 3.0.1.1 client with 4.0.3 server without moving on to the latest client version. Just wanted to understand the involved impacts, if we are missing much.Please advise.

Thanks.  

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 22 '13, 10:08 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '13, 10:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As already stated you will at least miss the new client side operational behavior. For administration purposes you would probably also miss some UI changes, so I would suggest to use a RTC 4.x that matches for administration of project areas. There might be some features for attribute customization running on the client missing or be limited. E.g. due to changes of the API in JavaScript. Other than that I would suggest to look at the New and Note Worthy of the download pages of the major releases in between and keep in mind it is client features and fixes you will miss.

In general if there are no technical reasons that prevent from upgrading I would upgrade. The N-1 feature is, from my perspective, meant to be able to run the same client if you have a mixed environment (some servers not upgraded) and to allow you to plan upgrading successively after the server was upgraded. E.g. to avoid a big bang upgrade of everything.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 22 '13, 10:13 a.m.
edited Aug 22 '13, 10:15 a.m.
4.0.3 provides new function for limiting the impact on the server of feed polling by the client.

the client will scale back the poll rate if there are no new updates or no event views after a while.
this function is not in the 3.0.1.1 client.

at my prior job, the feed polling impact was 40% of the cpu load on the server and database.
source code access was about 45% and the rest were the miscellaneous functions.

so feed polling is expensive. (this doesn't account for the data traffic impact on the network either, which is not reported in Jazzmon)

AND, if this is talking to a 4.0.3 server, then there is new server side function to enable centralized control of the client poll rates to further tune the impact vs value curve. but only with the 4.0.3 client

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.