It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

'ambiguous selector' error from scm - what is this 2nd reference?

James Hedley (613) | asked Aug 19 '13, 1:59 p.m.
edited Aug 19 '13, 2:02 p.m.
 Hi

When I try to run a load command as part of a build script, I get the following:

RuntimeError: Ambiguous selector "Main" matched multiple items: 
Possible matches: 
  (1037) "Main"
  (1038) "main"
Problem running 'create workspace':
Ambiguous workspace/stream "Main"

When I list streams, I can see the following:

(1035) "version1" xxx
(1036) "version2" xxx
(1048) "version3" xxx
(1037) "Main" xxx
(1047) "version4" xxx

So now I'm stuck because I know something with a reference 1038 exists, but I don't know what it is, it apparently isn't a stream and the list command doesn't let you list "all". List changesets and history are very slow :( and I can't find it in there either anyway.

How can I find out what (1038) main is please?

version info:

Build Id: RTC-I20120911-1740
com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client, version 3.1.100.v20120817_2130

Thanks in advance

James

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 19 '13, 5:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I predict that there is another workspace or stream named "Main" that is not visible to you.
There is an open work item requesting that invisible workspaces or streams not be used when determining whether a reference is unambiguous ( the scm command line should not complains about "ambiguous workspace selector" when someone else's private workspace has the same name as mine (276971) ).   If you can confirm that this is what is happening, it would be good to add a comment to that work item indicating you have been hit with this problem as well.
James Hedley selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
James Hedley commented Aug 20 '13, 7:56 a.m.

Thanks for this. Turns out someone created a workspace with the same name as one of our streams, although with different casing, and this broke our build. In our opinion it is a bug, so we'll update the ticket.

Thanks again!

James

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.