It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

multiple checkins and undo

john norris (20733844) | asked Apr 08 '13, 2:51 a.m.
Hi,
I had a problem yesterday when I made further changes to a file that I had checkedin days earlier (but not delivered) and then decided to undo that days changes. I used the replace menu to give a list of savepoints (every 10 minutes or so) and restored to a previous day. So all OK.
I am not sure whether this was an Eclipse or RTC feature.
But it made me wonder where changes are stored after a checkin. I believe the story is that changes are initially in my sandbox (c:\ somewhere) and show as unresolved. Then they are checked in (shown in outgoing) and stored in my workspace on the server.
But further changes do not show as unresolved (or did not on my system) and only by selecting the file in outgoing can I undo. And I did not want to lose those changes.
So can someone explain what hapens here.
Regards,
John

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Apr 08 '13, 7:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

Initially, changes are stored on your local computer.
When you check-in the changes, they are stored on your RTC repository workspace on the server.
Further changes you make at this point should show up as unresolved.

If you have your settings set so that files are automatically checked-in upon save, they will not show up as unresolved.  You can check your settings by going to Window > Preferences and then expanding Team > Jazz Source Control > Check-in Policies.

This video has a great explanation of Jazz Source Control:  https://hub.jazz.net/help/scm_intro-video.

Comments
john norris commented Apr 08 '13, 10:28 a.m.

Hi Lauren,
just checked my prefs and checkin policies and auto checkin is not set.
So that is not the reason that further changes after checkin are not showing up as unresolved.
Can you (or anyone else) think of any other reason. This is Eclipse client 4.0.1 running on WIndows XP.
Regards,
John

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Apr 08 '13, 2:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I can't think of why your changes after check-in aren't showing up as unresolved.  Are the changes not being saved or are they automatically going into the checked-in changeset?  Can you list the steps you are taking?  Maybe that would help narrow down what is going on.

john norris commented Apr 08 '13, 3:08 p.m.

I think I found the problem - my workspace keeps being unloaded. Not sure why this is happening - it will say loaded but then look later and it is not loaded.
So I loaded it, which overwrites the changes (is there a way to stop this?); fortunately I had backed up before loading. And then I copied the files back, refreshed pending changes and then I have outgoing and unresolved entries.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Apr 09 '13, 6:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure why your workspace would be unloading on its own.  The only way I know of to prevent changes from being overwritten when you load is to have the changes checked-in.

Karl Weinert commented Apr 09 '13, 7:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

John any chance you are loading your workspace to multiple sandboxes?

john norris commented Apr 09 '13, 9:03 a.m.

Hi Karl, Lauren,
this is becoming a problem. I started RTC eclipse and after initalisation, it says the workspace is loaded. My pending changes shows an incoming change set which has a potential conflict. If I accept the incoming change set, I get a warning that the component is not loaded and so the changes will not be reflected in the local sandbox. I accept anyway. In my unresolved changes a conflict marker appears. Try to use compare editor but can not as have to load component. Now my workspace is no longer loaded. (Did not notice when loaded message disappeared).
But if I reload the workspace I will lose my unresolved changes. Which means backing up the sandbox and then copying the files back. Which I can do once but is becoming tiresome after that.
I am using RTC4.0.1 on an oldish XP laptop. Is this a performace issue?
The alternative is that I checkin everything everytime I log out of RTC.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Apr 10 '13, 6:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

John,

I'm not sure what is going on that is causing the issues you are seeing.  I don't know how a workspace could be unloading on its own.  What error messages are you getting when try to resolve the conflict?  Maybe someone else can provide some insight here.

I usually try to checkin all of my changes before logging out of RTC as a way to backup my changes in case my computer crashes.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.