It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use the shared project are's customized attributes?

Jia Jia Li (8058157192) | asked Jul 01 '13, 10:39 p.m.
retagged Jul 02 '13, 8:38 a.m. by Laura Kuczarski (21137)
In RRC and RQM, we can config the project properties to create customized data type. 
If I share the project area of customized data type and attributes, could the customized data type and attributes be used by other project ares?
Thanks!

5 answers

permanent link
Thomas Suedbroecker (29335) | answered Jul 02 '13, 2:30 a.m.
edited Jul 02 '13, 2:35 a.m.

The Definition of Processes, Attributes, Categories is always for one Project Area for a discipline area:
RM Requirements Management (RRC),
QM Quality Management (RQM) ,
CMM Change and Configuration Management (RTC) and DM Design Management.

Each configuration is discipline oriented. These areas together are a life cycle project but with independed managed processes related to the discipline.

But in the dash board you can combine information and in life cycle queries you can combine different information. CLM provides a very good traceability.

Based on your question, for me it is currently not clear to me which concrete objective you have in mind, behind that question.

Based for my current understanding , the best would be you take a look in the help section for administration of Life Cycle projects http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/nav/0_8

I hope this helps.

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jul 02 '13, 9:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I agree with Thomas's answer, however you can look into the "Copy Type System" / "Import Project Properties" feature in RRC 4.0.1+ to achieve something similar to this. When you navigate to Manage Project Properties, there is an "Import" button in the top-right corner of your screen. This will walk you through a wizard which will allow you to copy any types (i.e. Artifact Types, Attributes, Data Types, and Link Types) from one project area to the current one you are using. 

Once you perform this operation, however, there is no "link" created between the project area you copied from and the one you copied to, so the types are considered to be "copied" and not "shared" per se. This means that any changes you make to the copied types are not propagated to original types which they were copied from. Make sense? 

Mike Jaworski

Comments
Jia Jia Li commented Jul 02 '13, 10:08 a.m.

Hi Michael Jaworski, I am using CLM403, and have not seen your mentioned "Import" button in Manage Project Properties page. Do you mind to provide me a screen shot? Thanks very much!

Mike Jaworski commented Jul 02 '13, 10:20 a.m. | edited Jul 02 '13, 10:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sure thing, 2 steps: 

1) Manage Project Properties from the "cog" button in the top-right corner of any page within RRC

2) Click the "Import" button in the top-right corner once you are in the Project Properties page

NOTE: This feature is for RRC ONLY. If you do not have JazzAdmin privileges, then you may not be able to see this button. 

Jia Jia Li commented Jul 04 '13, 12:27 a.m.

Thanks! I find RQM does not have this import function. I plan to submit one enhancement~

Mike Jaworski commented Jul 04 '13, 8:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sorry for the confusion, I may have forgotten to mention that the Import functionality was for RRC only ...

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jul 02 '13, 10:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I definitely understand your frustration. There has been talk about the ability to share project types across multiple project areas for a long time now, but since it is an effort that will take a good amount of time and manpower there just hasn't been a commitment to this effort yet. The Import Project Properties feature I referred to was a stepping stone in this direction, though I don't think it was ever intended to be the final solution for sharing types across projects. I think these plan items describe the functionality you're looking for:

Mike

permanent link
Jia Jia Li (8058157192) | answered Jul 02 '13, 9:50 a.m.
Thanks for your response. And I know in RTC, you can share your project area A process, and other project area B can use process configuration from the shared project area A. So if the shared project area A process changed(any new attribute, new work item type and so on), the project area B could use the same configuration with no change. 
I want to know if this feature works for project properties. RTC does not have function to config project properties. RRC and RQM has such function. 

My requirement is to use the unify customized attributes in all RRC/RQM project areas. But if the share project process does not includes the project properties, I should repeat and repeat change the project ares customized attributes if add attribute or change attributes.  Did not project properties feature think through such scenario?

Comments
Jia Jia Li commented Jul 04 '13, 12:30 a.m.

Thanks Mike. 

I understand that. And I think it is a little better if RQM has the similar import feature with RRC~

permanent link
Douglas Bush (28125) | answered Jul 07 '13, 7:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 07 '13, 7:19 p.m.
 Hi all. Good discussion. For more info on the process of importing project properties in RM, see this help topic:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_copy_type_system.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.