It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why aren't resources showing up after I specify a dependency on another configuration?

Ricky Fielding (38712) | asked Jun 27 '13, 8:57 p.m.

Hi,

I have two configuration spaces, one with a set of models that we intend to use as a "common" set of performers, the other a project that would use those performers. 

I followed the instructions at https://jazz.net/help-dev/dm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.dm.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_dm_admin_dpndcies.html  on how to specify a dependency on resources in a snapshot from another configuration.  It says those resources should then be available in the other space.  But as far as I can tell ... nothing happens. 

Is there another step to make those resources show up in my second project?  Or am I misunderstanding what this kind of dependency would get me?

Thanks,

RIcky

Accepted answer

permanent link
W Diu (58026) | answered Jun 28 '13, 10:29 a.m.
Let me give you a concrete example of the purpose of the dependencies.

Let's say in the Domains default workspace of the Domains project area I create an ontology (O1) with a class (C1).
Still in the Domains workspace, I create a domain (D1) with ontology O1 and the class C1 as a top level document class.  (I also added the appropriate editor definitions.)
Now I create a snapshot of the Domains workspace.

I now create a different project area, and in the settings I choose the Actively managed with Design Manager option.  In the Domains section, I associate the domain D1.

Now, in the different project area, I can see the option to create C1 in the Designs menu in the Create Design Resource section.

If I were to go back to the Domains default workspace of the Domains project area and add C2 to the ontology and as a top level document class of the domain, I would not see the option to create C2 in the Designs menu in the Create Design Resource section in the new project area.  I still only see the option to create C1.  That's because it's dependent on the previous version of the Domains project area.

This is where the effect of the dependencies comes in.

To have C2 show up, from the Current Configuration Context menu of the project you just created, choose Open Current Configuration (the help instructs you to choose Explore Configurations and doesn't explicitly mention the step of clicking the actual configuration) and click on the Dependencies tab.  You will see the dependency on the first snapshot you created (i.e. the one you created after only adding C1).  Choose Add Configurations, check the checkbox for the second snapshot configuration, and press Add Selected.  Now, when you go back to the project area you just created and refresh the page, you will see the option to create C2 (i.e. the resource shows up in your second project) because a dependency has been added to a snapshot in which C2 exists.
Ricky Fielding selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ricky Fielding commented Jun 28 '13, 12:57 p.m.

Ah, so it's pretty clear that I can't specify that project A depends on project B in order for project A to have access to model elements (e.g., UPIA Capabilities, UPIA Operational Node Specifications) in project B. 

In order to do that, Project A and Project B will need to be in the same Configuration space?  Would I then manage their interactions and visibility with only project area permissions and sharing permissions?  i.e., Project B would periodically share updates with Project A?  Of course, they'd be in separate workspaces...

Thanks, W Diu. If you, or others, have insight or can confirm my follow-up questions, that would be great.

W Diu commented Jun 28 '13, 2:05 p.m.

Project A and Project B don't need to be in the same configuration space.

To continue on with the previous example, let's say I added an object
property with the domain of C1 to the ontology O1 before making the snapshot.  (Since this is just an example, don't bother setting a range.)

As before, you will see the option to create C1 in the Designs menu in the Create Design Resource section in the project area you just created.  If you were to click this option in the menu, you would now see a section for OP1.

If you click Add...in the OP1 section, a dialog appears allowing you to pick an element.  The OP1 can refer to an element, such as the domain that was created in the above example in the Domains project area, which is in a configuration from a different configuration space than the current project.  (If you are following along with the example and want to try this out, choose Search as the Search Type and make sure to choose the This project and all dependent projects option as the Context.)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.