It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the ClearCase Synchronizer create a new stream every time I import a new label?

Manoj Panda (39346762) | asked Jun 14 '13, 11:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
converted to question Jun 15 '13, 1:05 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Everytime i start import with new label, RTC create a new stream, why?

if i have 2 components , then can i choose to import some of the files to comp1 and some other files to comp2??

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 15 '13, 1:06 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: This was moved out of the topic https://jazz.net/forum/questions/116250 because it is really a new question.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 15 '13, 1:13 p.m.
There are two ways to import a new label:
- Using an existing import-only synchronize stream, put the attribute specified for that import-only sync stream on the new label type, giving it an integer value greater than any that you have used for that attribute on any other label types.  Then just ask to synchronize that stream again.
- Create a new import-only synchronized, creating a new attribute type, and put that attribute on the new label type.  Then synchronize the new stream.

The first way will just add changes to the end of the existing stream.   The second way will create a new stream.

WRT selectively importing from one component and another, the key thing to remember is that a given synchronized stream will only import label types whose attribute value is greater than the attribute value of the last label type that was synchronized by that synchronization stream.   So if you want to import label types for component B, you cannot use an existing synchronized stream that has already imported those label types into component A, but would have to create a new synchronized stream for component B.

Comments
Manoj Panda commented Jun 22 '13, 9:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Geoffrey,

Finally I am able to import from Clearcase. The scenario is like this: IN ClearCase we have /main branch and another branch called /b1.

After import to clearcase we will have 2 stream say MAIN Stream ad B1 stream.

Now in clearcase b1 branch was created from the BL2 label of the  /main branch. we can easly see this by opening the version tree of ClearCase files. Which may not possible to see using RTC!!!!!

Now the the question is: how do RTC users know (after import to RTC) that B1 stream was derived from the BL2 label of /MAIN stream? is there any way??

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 23 '13, 1:26 a.m. | edited Jun 23 '13, 1:27 a.m.

In order to have RTC reflect the branching structure in ClearCase, you have to use the synchronizer in "import" mode to create an "import-only" synchronization stream that imports the baselines on the MAIN stream (in particular, the BL2 baseline).   If you are using 4.0.3, then when you create the synchronization stream for B1, it should automatically branch the imported B1 stream off of the BL2 baseline (and this will be reflected in the RTC version history graphs).   If you are using a a pre-4.0.3 version of RTC, then you will have to do some manual work when setting up the B1 synchronization stream.   In particular, after importing the BL2 baseline into RTC, create the B1 synchronization stream, but do not select any files to synchronize.  Then deliver the BL2 baseline to the B1 stream in Jazz.   Now you can add the files to synchronize in the B1 synchronization stream, and the RTC B1 versions should branch properly off of the BL2 baseline versions.

Manoj Panda commented Jun 23 '13, 2:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the answer. I am using 4.0.2 but planning to upgrade 4.0.3 very soon. I will get back to you by next week.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.