It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we use RTC 3.0.1 process template to create PA in RTC 4.0.1?

Maria Amalan (784164) | asked May 28 '13, 3:01 a.m.
 Is it possible to use the process template extracted from RTC 3.0.1 to create a PA in RTC 4.0.1? Is it compatible? If not, is there some workaround to make this happen? Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 28 '13, 3:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Maria, as far as I know you have to upgrade to 4.x first, then extract the template. Otherwise you are likely to get an error message. This was at least true in the past.
Maria Amalan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dinesh Kumar B commented May 28 '13, 6:11 a.m. | edited Jun 02 '13, 8:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

i agree with Ralph, recommended way to use a earlier template is to perform an upgrade and extract a fresh template.  this way you will end up with a compatible template.

as a workaround you could try connecting your 3.0.1 eclipse client to the 4.0.1 repository and import the process template.  once imported, you will be able to create new project areas in 4.0.1. 

Please use caution with this approach.  Do a thorough examination in a test environment and once you see everything from the template has taken correct effect, use it for your production environment.

hope it helps

Qiong Feng Huang commented May 29 '13, 10:37 a.m. | edited Jun 02 '13, 8:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't think there is any differences by using 3.0.1 eclipse client or 4.0.1 eclipse client while importing a process template. :) All the validation code are located in server side. Even you can import a 3.0.1 template to 4.0.1 repostiroy successfully, it's NOT recommended to do this because we never support this scenario and it's not guaranteed that it works. The only recommended way is to migrate to 4.0.1 and then export this template from 4.0.1 repository.

Maria Amalan commented May 30 '13, 1:41 a.m. | edited Jun 02 '13, 8:26 a.m.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will get the environment migrated and then will extract the process template.

Dinesh Kumar B commented May 30 '13, 2:57 a.m. | edited Jun 02 '13, 8:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Trying to import a 3.0.1 template using a 4.0.1 client gives :

Problem occurred importing template

Details:
Version mismatch.  The selected template was exported from an older version and cannot be imported.  Moving an old template to a new version requires importing the template into an old server, migrating the database to the new version, and then exporting the template again.

As the Details suggests, the right way is upgrade but the older client connected to the newer repository can serve as some relief and again i would like to reiterate applying caution if attempting this workaround/approach.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.