It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I get RQM to choose an adapter for every test case when it is about to run?

Colin Thorne (22421619) | asked May 24 '13, 3:32 a.m.
I have been using RQM to automate our test execution for a couple of years and with the growing of our team, project and number of tests, I need to share the test load over a number of machines. I have been exploring the features available in RQM 4.0.0.1 and I am using  'select adapter at runtime' to choose a free test adapter when the test is run.

However, I notice that when a test suite execution record is about to be run from a test schedule, all the test cases in that test suite execution record are allocated to test adapters at the beginning of the run. 

This means that if one of the test cases takes a long time compared to the others, the other test adapters are idle while there still may be test cases queued up behind the long running test case.
Is there any way of changing this behaviour in RQM?

My set up is:
  • I created a test cell with a number (3 in my case) of machines each running the RQMCommandLineAdapter
  • I have a test execution schedule set up to run on completion of an RTC build. I understand that a test execution schedule is a sequence of steps designed to be run sequentially.
  • The test execution schedule has a number of steps, each of which is a test suite execution record.
  • The test suites are set to run the test cases in parallel (this seemed to be an essential step to make sure more than one test case can be run at the same time, on different machines)
My desired behaviour is that each test suite execution record is run from execution schedule, and that the test cases are assigned to free adapters to run, until all adapters are busy. Then, rather than allocating the test cases to adapters straight away (leaving them queued behind other test cases), the test cases should be allocated only when an adapter becomes available.

Is there a way of achieving this?

Thanks, Colin.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Deepa Doraswamy (4712) | answered May 29 '13, 2:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Colin,
At the moment the behavior is as you have mentioned above. However there is an enhancement created to address this issue.
Optimization of Scheduling and Distribution of automated tests - https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=82319

Thanks and regards,
Deepa
Colin Thorne selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Colin Thorne commented May 29 '13, 5:02 p.m.

Thanks Deepa. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.