It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Existing Testsuite->Testcase links replaced with XLSLink in RQM Excel Importer?

Keith O'Donnell (1512) | asked Mar 07 '16, 5:53 p.m.
 Hi, I'm trying to import new testcases from excel and link them to an existing testsuite that already has some links to existing testcases.  I've tried the following in my config file:

testsuite.XLSArtifactID="urn:com.ibm.rqm:testsuite:1"
testsuite.XLSLink=testcase

But it always replaces the existing links.  I was doing some research trying to figure this out and saw that this was fixed in version 4.0.1.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this not working anymore?  (My guess is the former.)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 07 '16, 7:31 p.m.
I think that's the way it works, and you have to include the existing test cases in order to "add" new ones. The Excel Importer utilizes the REST API for manipulating the data, and it uses the PUT method to update the test artifact (test suite in this case). Note that the PUT method is also used for removing links, so it has to do a replace (not add) operation all the time.
Keith O'Donnell selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Keith O'Donnell commented Mar 07 '16, 7:35 p.m.

Hmm... this FAQ makes it seem as though any version 4.0.1 or later supports adding rather than replacing.

Donald Nong commented Mar 08 '16, 12:36 a.m.

It looks a bit confusing and I will try to make it a bit clear. If you check the linked work item 63406, you will see that your use case was mentioned in the comments and the workaround is in comment 4 (more detailed than my one liner). Also, the enhancement was raised from the below forum post:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/71705/help-how-to-link-existing-test-plan-to-test-cases-using-exc
which links to this wiki:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMWordAndExcelWhatSNewIn40
which mentions using LinkExisting modifier.

Note that it's backward reference, so in your case, you should use
testcase.testsuite=LinkExisting(F)

If using LinkExisting still replaces all existing links in the test suite, that will be a defect.

Keith O'Donnell commented Mar 08 '16, 12:31 p.m.

I could have sworn I tried that, but sure enough... it just worked.  Thanks Donald.  I really appreciate it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.