It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Catching change dependencies on check-in or delivery

Marshall Schor (1012624) | asked May 20 '13, 11:46 a.m.
 A user makes changes to 2 Eclipse projects, P, and D.  Project P change depends on project D.

Later, user checks-in just the change for project P (forgetting that it depends on changes in project D).

Later, the user "delivers" to the main stream, after "catching up" the Repository Workspace to the main stream.

Other users who now check out the main stream get compile errors, because of the missing change set that wasn't yet created for project D.

Is there a way to have a process check to verify when checking in changes for project P that depend on changes in project D, that prevent this error (by requiring changes in D to be also checked-in?

One answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered May 20 '13, 3:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Without a failing build, I'm not sure how you can be certain that one change will require another (it's not likely that every change will trigger a dependency issue). I think many teams address this by having a continuous integration build of the main stream (that would fail quickly in this case) and notify either the whole team or those who recently checked in changes of the problem. I don't think there is a built-in process check that could cover this sort of dependency.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.