It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Line delimiters and extensionless files

Brian Gillan (3215330) | asked Dec 09 '08, 5:08 p.m.
We have a project that includes build scripts, many (hundreds) of which
have no extension. When these are brought into RTC, the line delimiter
property is being set to binary. We need them identified as "platform"

Other than the manual process of setting this on each file using the
File Properties Wizard, is there any way to:

1. have the line delimiter set to platform whne the project is added to RTC

2. allow bulk change of files already added to RTC

Thanks, Brian

2 answers

permanent link
Andrew Hoo (1.0k1) | answered Dec 15 '08, 10:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Brian,

1: Nope, we always assume binary by default because it would be disastrous on a binary file if we assumed platform by default.

However, if all your buildscripts are named the same thing, you could add that filename to the File Properties Preference before checking them in; however unfortunately, there's no regex support for specifying "all files without extensions".

2: the File Properties Wizard allows multiselection and will collect resources under folders and projects if you run the action from a folder/project. But from there, it will just list everything in the treeview and you'll still have to change all the comboboxes on each of the files. The wizard tries to keep things manageable by grouping by extension (which you don't have... so it might not help you by doing this). If ALL of your hundreds of buildscripts are named differently, this might even be more painful as the wizard iterates over all your resources on disk at once. And if your buildscripts are named similarly, then could have set their property ahead of time as mentioned before in 1).

If you really feel like you need to get this done, You could try being clever by giving an extension to all these files before checking them in (eg. 'buildscript.FIX_MY_DELIMITER'), setting the file properties preference for *.FIX_MY_DELIMITER, and then checking them in so that they're all platform, and then afterwards try writing a script with the CLI that goes back and removes all the .FIX_MY_DELIMITER extensions and check that change set in. I wouldn't call that a recommended set of steps to get around your problem... just a thought.

How often do you modify these scripts? Perhaps you could just tell your team to be abit more aware when they encounter the binary file, they can change it. They only need to change it once and deliver that for the next guy. Eventually all the files will get hit, and for the files that don't... well they shouldn't be a problem anyways.

Andrew

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:01:45 -0500, Brian Gillan <bgillan> wrote:

We have a project that includes build scripts, many (hundreds) of which
have no extension. When these are brought into RTC, the line delimiter
property is being set to binary. We need them identified as "platform"

Other than the manual process of setting this on each file using the
File Properties Wizard, is there any way to:

1. have the line delimiter set to platform whne the project is added to
RTC

2. allow bulk change of files already added to RTC

Thanks, Brian

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

permanent link
Dave Marsico (4511014) | answered May 09 '11, 4:41 p.m.
Could someone share (or point me to any info that explains) exactly how the
jazz.line-delimiter and jazz.mine properties are determined.
(i.e. any control files that "are/or can be used" in the determination.

I'm doing imports of source trees into RTC via the CLI on a Linux host.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.