It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can i prevent the parent project from failing if one of the inline projet being called is using .break dot command?

Jojie Valiente (3021417) | asked May 02 '13, 9:05 p.m.

I have 2 projects (ProjA and ProjB), ProjA is calling ProjB as an inline project.

ProjB has a step that is using .break command. When this step is run, it stop ProjB which is fine. But the what is happening to ProjA is this job is failing.

How can I prevent ProjA from faling? My expectation is that, it should wait for ProjB to finished. 

One answer

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered May 03 '13, 12:46 p.m.
edited May 03 '13, 12:57 p.m.
 Hello Jolie,

The break command is used to halt a job until you restart it. In your situation, the .break command is being called in an inline project.

A chained scenario is what you want, not an inline. If the break command occurs within a chained job, the system stops the chained job, but returns control to the calling job, which continues processing steps. It should not fail. This is in a chained project and is most likely what you want. Not inline. Inline will work, until you try to use something like a break. 

When you inline a project and that project is set to break. It does not give control back to the calling project. It gives control back to the calling step. That step can only pass if the called project (project B finishes.

Project A step 1 Pass
Project A step 2 -calls Project B step 1
                              Project B step 1 Pass
                              Project B step 2 Pass
                              Project B step 3 .break Stop.< -This stops project B and stops Step 2 of Project A
                                                                         Step 2 stops and project A fails/stops
Project A step 3
Project A step 4

Use chained projects. There are also other options with chained projects you can set. Such as what to do if a step fails, threading ect. Please read about it in the INFO_CENTER   http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/bldforge/v7r1m3/index.jsp

If have have additional concerns on the best way to set up your projects. Please open a PMR so that someone from support can assist you in best practices and with meeting your end goals. 

Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.