It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] MSSQL Server 2008 - split of database possible?

Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | asked May 02 '13, 5:33 a.m.
closed Sep 16 '13, 1:13 a.m.
Hi there,

in our environment we have a MSSQL Server for the database to host the data stores of our Jazz applications (JTS, RTC, RRC, RQM, RDW).

As this environment is producing a lot of content in the data store there is the question if it's possible so split the database file into different smaller peaces to get no performance issue and to get a good backup strategy working.

MSSQL is providing an option to split database files to one or more files that the instance is searching first in the "main database file" and if the data is not there it's searching in the other files.
This option makes sense (my opinion), if the most often needed sources are available in the first database file. Is there a logic to make this happen within RTC?

Is a "splitted database file" level supported from IBM?
Are there any experiences in using MSSQL within huge environments? I mean something like 5TB of data or so ...

Greetings,
Simon

PS: I've found those Questions in the forum, but both describe the option to use different databases and not to split one database file.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/75741/only-one-database-per-rqm-instance
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/35556/rtc-repository-splited-in-more-than-one-database?redirect=%2Fforum%2Fquestions%2F35556%2Frtc-repository-splited-in-more-than-one-database

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by eickel Sep 16 '13, 1:13 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered May 02 '13, 12:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I've never seen anyone split their SQL Server database when supporting Jazz. That's not to say it wouldn't work, but we probably don't support it. There is no mention of split databases in the system requirements.

If you're having performance issues, I recommend taking a look at Dan Toczala's excellent Jazz Performance Guide blog post  It includes links to work he has compiled to help people improve their Jazz performance in a number of areas (DB, network, etc).
Simon Eickel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Simon Eickel commented May 03 '13, 9:07 a.m.

thanks Jim, this helps. I will try to get some of those monitoring things running in our environment ;)