It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Directory Structure Question

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Apr 25 '13, 12:21 a.m.
I don't have all the background information on this because it was a year or so ago when I set up our RTC project area and it was the first time, so probably I didn't know enough about what I was doing.  I created one component, CCM, and when I loaded our initial code, it ended up in the directory structure CCM/src/...  The .project file is in the CCM directory.  When we moved from our old source code control system to RTC, the CCM directory was not in the path and this caused some minor build problems which is why I assumed that having the CCM directory was "just one of those things" about how RTC behaved.

I ran across another RTC project area today which has two components, say CompA and CompB, but the component names are not the top-level directory in the file structure.  The owner of this project area told me "when I create a new Eclipse project for a new bundle and go to check it in, I do "right click->Team->Share" and then the wizard asks me which of those components to put it in".  This project area has many projects, but they are in directories named, say ProjectA, ProjectB, ProjectC.  In my project area, it would be, for example, CompA/ProjectA, CompA/ProjectB, CompB/ProjectC.

So apparently you can build project areas in which the component name is part of the source tree path or not. Having the CCM directory works well for us, as it is an excellent place for scripts to build the whole project.  This creates exactly this problem for the new project I found as they have not dealt with a full project build yet and have no common place to store any build script for the entire project.  Is there a best practice here? 

If it is significant, our initial CCM project was created until RTC 3.  I'm not sure of the other project, but both are now on an RTC 4.0.1 server.

Chris

One answer

permanent link
Sonia Dimitrov (27159) | answered May 01 '13, 1:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Chris,

I suspect that you may have selected the default option for "Load As" on the new CCM component which added the .project file to the your CCM directory, effectively turning it into an eclipse project.  When the .project is checked into source control, subsequent loads that use "Find and load Eclipse projects" then will produce the directory structure you're seeing.

Our typical practice for build scripts is to have a component that is exclusively for them.  It makes it easy to add/remove it from different streams and workspaces which would then allow you to structure individual components as you wish (i.e. CCM at root or projects under component at root).

Hope this helps.

Sonia

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.