It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deliver all of the changesets associated to one work item

Kevin Conway (4368) | asked Apr 19 '13, 4:06 p.m.
 Hi:

I am working with a client to determine how they will use RTC to replace ClearCase.  They have a habit of wanting to be able to cherry pick changes as they go through their development and acceptance process.

Any work item may have changesets that are associated to many different components.  I can see how it is possible that I can go down the list of  changes in the "Pending Changes" list to cherry pick the changesets I want that are associated to one work item, but I can't see how I can click on one work item identifier in the Pending Changes list to tell it that I want all of the changests that are associated to that work item.  If I choose the changesets one by one as I go down the list I am likley to fail to include an item or likely to include an unwanted item.  Clicking on deliver only delivers the changeset in the component where the change is located.

I know I can do some scripting to query the changset ids from a work item and them pass that information to a command line "scm deliver" operation, but is not really going to go over very well.

What I am looking for is something equivalent to the delivery preview that we had in ClearCase in which I would be able to see what activities (ClearCase changesets) were going to be delivered and then select/deselect what I wanted and did not want.  yes, the Pending changes provides some of that, but I want to be able to deliver at a work item level and pick up all of the associated changesets.

I know that one 'solution" to the issue would be to have only one component - I had a client that did this in ClearCase to avoid something of the same issue.  It would certainly give me all of the changes under a work item, but it does not take advantage of the ability to segregate changes by architectural or other divisions.

Am I missing a piece of functionality?

Thanks in advance.

kjc

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 22 '13, 3:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 22 '13, 3:31 a.m.
Kevin, as far as I can tell, RTC is not prepared to work like that from the pending changes view, as far as I can tell. If you want to cherry pick from a work item, you would load a repository workspace. Then you would open the work item you want and select and accept the change sets from the work item. This will bring them into your repository workspace and after dealing with any issue (gaps etc) you will be able to deliver the work into the stream.

There are other users out there that try implementing cherry picking. There are various problems with this approach. One issue is that a change set on a work item can depend on a change set on another work item. To some extend you can extend RTC to help dealing with these issues, but there are limits.
Kevin Conway selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kevin Conway commented Apr 22 '13, 9:45 a.m.

Hi Ralph:

Thanks for confirming my understanding - I'm not missing anything.  :-)

I know I am going to have a bit of a battle to explain to some developers why what they have been doing is a bad idea.  There is a genuine desire for change in their development practices overall so I hope to get them to understand how this approach is better.

I'll have a bit to do to show how they could cherry pick - as an exception not as a rule.

kjc

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.