It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What do I do when my local Jazz Team Server(on Tomcat) doesn't restart?

Andrew Soloninka (5511924) | asked Apr 02 '13, 2:02 p.m.
 Occasionally, when I shutdown my local Jazz Team Server and attempt to restart it, The "Tomcat" window flashes briefly but does not stay open. I can clear this problem by shutting down my laptop and rebooting. This is kind of a pain. Is there a simpler way to clear the Jazz Team Server so it can be restarted.  

Comments
Jorge Diaz commented Apr 02 '13, 2:12 p.m. | edited Apr 02 '13, 2:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you check the stop and start from command line? To check what error/issue is flagged when Tomcat tries to start again.
Have you seen anything in the logs?
An option is that Tomcat didn't stopped completely, or it did stop but the port is still in use. But the information suggested may throw a clearer clue.

3 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Apr 02 '13, 7:50 p.m.
The root cause could be that you dont have enough JVM memory. By default v4.x(supposed you are using v4.0.x) requires min JVM 4GB memory. If you have less memory, you will see the flash windows only. You can try to start the server process at below way so that more information can be captured in the logs(\server\tomcat\logs) as well as command prompt.
In <rtc install="">\server\tomcat\bin\starup.bat , change "start" to "run" in the following line near the end of the file:
"%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS% to "%EXECUTABLE%" run %CMD_LINE_ARGS%

From the further details, you may determine whether it is JVM related, or user not having enough rights for some installed directories and so on.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 02 '13, 2:19 p.m.
Hi Andrew,

Assuming you are on windows 7, configure the shortcut to "Run as Administrator" and see if that resolves the problem.

Or you can open a command prompt with Administrator privilege the same way as mentioned above and then start the server so that it doesn't go away and shows you the error message which will probably help you debug this further.
Thanks

permanent link
Bo Chulindra (1.3k2718) | answered Apr 23 '13, 4:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/109259/why-is-my-tomcat-console-dying-just-after-starting-up#109536 for a way to see the error causing Tomcat startup to fail.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.