It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I insert missing required content in a source deliver precondition?

Colin Thorne (22421619) | asked Mar 15 '13, 8:06 a.m.
edited Apr 08 '13, 11:25 a.m.
We have just moved to RTC 4.0.0.1 server (still using RTC Eclipse client 3.0.1.3) and we are having problems getting required content inserted into a file when it fails a precondition. The option to add the required content does not appear in the Team Advisor in Eclipse.

In the process configuration I have set up a Deliver Phase 2 (server) precondition to check for a copyright statement. I have also included 'Text to insert' in the precondition. This was set up before the upgrade.

With the previous version of RTC server we were using (3.0.1.1),  this worked correctly. The Team Advisor would show that the precondition had failed and there was an option to automatically add the missing text. I have not updated my client since the server was upgraded to 4.0.0.1.

Is there a problem in RTC 4.0.0.1 or is it because of a mismatch between client and server?

Thanks, Colin.

One answer

permanent link
Colin Thorne (22421619) | answered Apr 26 '13, 4:13 a.m.
I have concluded that I need to use the RTC 4 client to be able to show the option to insert the required test. Although annoying it is not a major problem.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 26 '13, 4:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Colin,

there are client and server preconditions to configure. The client preconditions are typically relying on the client capabilities, whereas the server preconditions don't.

The clean workspace is such a precondition and others that look at the code directly often too. They just need the client's capabilities to operate and are therefore not available as server preconditions.

Another issue is that the server precondition extension point does not allow for modifications of the data it handles. It can only prevent the operation from happening. Especially SCM would fail if you modified the source code in this context.

Colin Thorne commented Apr 26 '13, 8:11 a.m.

Thanks Ralph, that clarifies the differences between preconditions (and I found the article Source control process recipes particular useful) and I can understand why there needs to be some client interaction. I was just surprised when something that used to work (the insertion of the required text) didn't work when I upgraded the server version without changing client.

Regards, Colin.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 26 '13, 8:22 a.m. | edited Apr 26 '13, 8:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Colin,

there is effort being done to preserve N-1 Client to server compatibility. Having said that, some new features might not be available using an N-1 client. However I am wondering why the old client precondition coded into your client should not be available any more. I find this strange as well. Was it available, but did not work?

Colin Thorne commented May 09 '13, 3:47 a.m.

Sorry for the delay in responding Ralph,

If you are still interested: the precondition appeared in the Team Advisor telling me that the source code did not have the required content. Normally I would see an option to let me insert the required content into the files that were missing this content. However in this case (a version 3.0.1.3 client with a 4.0.0.1 server) the option to insert the required content did not appear.

Regards, Colin.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.