It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to execute same set of test cases or test suite with different roles

Suresh Raman (9152333) | asked Mar 07 '13, 10:03 a.m.
This is the situation we have. There are a set of test cases or a test suite that needs to be executed with different roles. Is it possible to create test execution records (with different names) of the same suite?

Thanks for all your help.
Suresh

Comments
Bob Gallagher commented Mar 09 '13, 6:00 p.m.

Could you clarify what you mean by "different roles" ?

Suresh Raman commented Mar 11 '13, 9:39 a.m.

Bob, they are our business process roles. In our business users can login to the system as different roles. The steps are the same except for the roles. I was reaching out to see if there is any solution that anyone is already using.

3 answers

permanent link
Bob Gallagher (3211) | answered Mar 11 '13, 4:57 p.m.
Another option, though may be considered a stretch for correct usage and would be affected by how you currently use Test Environments, would be set up a new Environment Type, Business Roles, under Manage Project Properties->Lab Resource Properties. The Test Plan could define this a Platform (under the Test Environment section). Execution Records could be generated for each role through the Environment. The environment is a column of the Execution Records table and the Results table.

Comments
Suresh Raman commented Mar 12 '13, 10:11 a.m.

Bob, thanks again. I tried this out and it fits my needs. For now, I think I will go with this.

permanent link
Bob Gallagher (3211) | answered Mar 11 '13, 10:34 a.m.
Have you looked into using Test Script Test Data? You can configure a test data file to contain, per row, a business role. The script can reference test data column values (e.g. business role name). The script will repeat for each row of the test data file.

Comments
Suresh Raman commented Mar 11 '13, 1:51 p.m.

Bob, thanks for directing me towards test data. I tried and it works perfectly fine as you have mentioned. If I had three roles, it executes the steps for 3 iterations and the result is a single test case execution result with all the steps for 3 iterations. If the test case failed, I need to open the testcase result to see for what role did it actually fail. That is the challenge I am facing. Also, in the test case result, it is not possible to display the roles as a column. This is what I am trying to achieve. There are say 3 roles - role1, role2 and role3. A test suite or a set of test cases are to be executed by all the roles. I need to see 3 execution records or a way to identify that this execution with role2 failed by seeing the results. Please let me know if this can be achieved.

Thanks for all your help

permanent link
Chenyue Gao (913) | answered Mar 08 '13, 12:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes. It's possible. You can create two test plans for the same test suite. Then assign the two test plans to two execution records. By the way, at least one of Test Suite, Test Environment, Test Plan and Test Milestone must be different for each execution records.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.