It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Support for incremental builds

Alex Mulholland (712111) | asked Nov 19 '08, 12:58 p.m.
We are using RTC source control and build engine. We would like to implement 'incremental builds' in our main build process... to do this we would uncheck the 'delete directory before loading' option in the build definition (thus load over the previous build), and use ant tasks to rebuild only what has changed (plus dependants) without using 'clean' targets indiscriminately. My first concern is how to deal with source file deletions. If a change set in the build includes a file deletion, and the previous build is not deleted before loading, does the jazz build engine detect the file deleteion and remove the source file from the 'previous' build? If not, is there another way we can deal with this situation?

Any other pointers on incremental builds will also be much appreciated!

5 answers

permanent link
Alex Mulholland (712111) | answered Nov 19 '08, 2:48 p.m.
I guess I also need to know if the jazz build support can load only the new/changed source files.... or if I can get a list of changed files as part of the build process?

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Nov 19 '08, 3:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The load performed by the jazz build engine should be what you want. It
should only load the new changes. Deletion of files should be handled as
well and removed from the filesystem when loading.

We don't have much experience doing incremental builds. The RTC builds build
clean everytime.

---
Ryan Manwiller
Jazz Team

permanent link
Alex Mulholland (712111) | answered Nov 20 '08, 2:08 p.m.
Hi Ryan,
That's excellent news about jbe loading only the changed files and removing any deleted source files from the previous build. Will it also remove the corresponding output (class file) for the deleted source? I noticed this happens nicely in the IDE.
Thanks, Alex.

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Nov 20 '08, 4:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I doubt .class files would be removed. The deleted source files are only
removed because the build workspace accepted a change set with a deletion
for that file.

permanent link
Chris Melikian (6672) | answered Nov 21 '08, 11:13 a.m.
I doubt .class files would be removed. The deleted source files are only
removed because the build workspace accepted a change set with a deletion
for that file.

If you're using Ant you should always run a "clean" target first which should delete and re-initialise your temporary build area.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.