It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installation error for rtc client in redhat linux

Claudia Nunes (1122) | asked Mar 05 '13, 4:55 p.m.
  Hallo,I tried to install RTC client and got the following error but I have FF newest version installed: Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks .
n error occurred while starting the launchpad. This error typically occurs when the launchpad is unable to find a supported browser. Check your product's documentation for a list of supported browsers.

NOTE: This file is a place holder for product specific instructions about how to recover from this error.

You should describe the location of installation programs on the product CD so the user can run them directly without starting launchpad if necessary.

Procedure for correcting the error that is preventing the launchpad from displaying
======================================================================

The launchpad supports the following browsers:
o Mozilla
o Firefox
o Internet Explorer (Microsoft Windows platforms only)
o SeaMonkey

Use the following procedure to attempt to correct the error that is preventing the launchpad from displaying and to try to start the launchpad again:

1. If you do not have the Mozilla Web browser, download and install the Mozilla Web browser from http://www.mozilla.org. 

On Linux and UNIX platforms, export the location of the supported browser. For example: 

export BROWSER=/usr/bin/mozilla

Comments
Carsten Steckel commented Apr 18 '13, 12:35 p.m. | edited Apr 18 '13, 12:38 p.m.

Hi all,

I have the same error. Firefox 17 installed, export BROWSER executed. The launchpad will not start. It correctly identifies the browser and starts the Mozilla.html. I guess the javascript on the Mozilla.html reports an error and then displays the generic error page posted above.

On the Web-Console of Firefox there are no javascript errors.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Carsten

2 answers

permanent link
Andrei Litvin (23149) | answered Apr 18 '13, 2:09 p.m.
I had the same error and I installed it by bypassing the browser-based launcher:

In a terminal:
1) cd into "im/linux.gtk.x86_64" (or 32-bit if applicable)
2) run "./install"

Workaround really, not a fix.

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered Apr 18 '13, 3:57 p.m.
You can avoid the launchpad altogether by downloading the plain zip installer from the All Downloads page for the version you wish to use.  Depending on the version you are attempting to install newer versions of Firefox may not work.  Using the plain zip installer negates the need to worry about that. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.