It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

MIgrate Defect records accross different RQM instances of different versions

Rajesh Avanthi (10815145173) | asked Feb 25 '13, 2:52 a.m.
Environment # 1:
============
We have 2 RQM setup's.
1) RQM v2.0 hosted on one machine
2) RQM 3.0.1.2 hosted on another machine

A few Defect records has been logged under RQM 2.0 (stored locally) as well as under 3.0 (stored locally). No separate database has been configured to store these defect records.

We have another setup (Environment # 2) (on a different network, but accessible to all users) holding the RQM 3.0 setup.

Now, I want to synchronize / rather get all the defect records (along with comments and attachments) from the Environment # 1    into Environment # 2

Any possible way of achieving this ?

2 answers

permanent link
Chenyue Gao (913) | answered Feb 25 '13, 4:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RQM doesn't store any defect records in its own database. What's in RQM is a reference of the defect on CCM (or other OSLC providers). As long as your two environment are connecting to the same CCM, they are implicitly synchronized.  In your case, it looks that your two environments have their own CCM. One thing you can try is to merge your two CCM into one and connect your two RQM to the merged CCM.

Comments
Stephane Leroy commented Feb 26 '13, 6:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Humm.... :
- in RQM 2.x defects could be created locally (i.e. in RQM)
- to maintain access to those (local) defects when performing the upgrade from 2.x to 3.x,  administrators had to add self-links for local defects (which would not prevent testers from creating new defects in CCM BTW).
  This is explained in the Rational Support video (go directly to minute 6:15):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzLcySnIZIs
  This operation was apparently performed by Rajesh for his (Env #1) RQM 3.0.1.2 instance.

For a general view of what the CLM 2.x to 3.x upgrade is about, I'd recommend the Upgrade Reference for CLM 2011 "landing page".

Rajesh Avanthi commented Feb 26 '13, 9:33 a.m.

Stephane, That was really a good info to start off on this.
Thanks very much.

However in the current scenario, We are not using any other defect logging tools under RQM2.0 (Under Environment # 1).
However under Environment # 2, where we have RQM v3.0.1.2, the defect tracking tool configured is RTC (CCM).

In this case how can we migrate or get all the defects from Environment # 1 to Environment # 2  ??

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Feb 26 '13, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Rajesh,

it's difficult to figure out what you're trying to achieve here :
- a consolidation of Env #1 (with 2 instances of RQM at 2 different version levels) towards a fresh RQM instance Env #2 ? with the same URIs or not ?
- a double consolidation of Env #1 (with 2 instances of RQM at 2 different version levels) towards a pre-existing RQM instance from Env #2 (with its own QM Projects, etc.)

Instead this raises a lot of questions to me :
- what about the future of Env #1 :
  shall it keep going after "migration" to Env #2 is completed ? or not ?
- what about the QM projects in (Env #1/RQM 2.x instance):
  do you expect to find them in Env #2 after the "migration" ?
- what about the QM projects in (Env #1/RQM 3.0.1.2 instance):
   do you expect to find them in Env #2 after the "migration" ?
- what about the defects initially created in RQM instances :
  do you expect to find them migrated into CCM of Env #2  with all the "comments and attachments" conserved plus linked with the adhoc project ?
- more generally:
  where the planification of your RQM instances went ?

I see no simple answer to provide here.
Nonetheless, let me share a few things you should be aware and that appear important to stress :
- project move is in no way coming OOTB:
  please check this previous forum post :
- if you need to change the server URI, server rename feature would be required ;
  be aware you'd need to upgrade to the CLM 4.0 version level.
- before deciding to go any further, you'd need to clarify/decide :
   - what your exact scenario is
   - how strategic it is to have these RQM-hosted defects agreggated with newer defects logged in CCM (e.g. you might end up leaving old defects in RQM instances and use CCM for new ones),
 and as a corollary
   - the amount of time (or money) you'd agree to allocate for creating such a unified (and history-aware) from disparate Jazz servers.

Hope it provides you with some keys...

Regards,
Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.