It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC as a Document Management Solution

Anthony Paul (7021821) | asked Feb 21 '13, 9:13 a.m.
 Hi,

I know this has been raised a few times but I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this solution which I got from looking at some of the other forum posts.

1. Users will use the RTC Web UI to view and edit documents.
2. All changes will be made against a Document Task type Work item with three states (Draft, Review, Approved)
3. Will use a single stream and component to store documents.
4. Use the lock feature to lock a document while editing it.

Limitations:

1. There is no search facility
2. Folders and Documents have to be added one by one. No batch update available. Guess we will use the eclipse client for the initial drop of documents.

Questions:
1. Can the folders be limited so that only certain groups can view the documents in them?
2. Is it possible to view MS Word documents on the web page just like text files?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 21 '13, 12:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is a search capability but perhaps it doesn't provide the kind of search you want. The current search allows searching for streams/workspaces, components, baselines, snapshots, change sets (including change sets that modify a resource that you specify), and locks. If the type of search that you want isn't available, please open an enhancement.

For batch upload/update, please look at: 98900: support multi-upload and edit in the web UI

Item permissions are supported. You can specify that a resource can only be accessible to users that are part of the project or team area that you specify. https://jazz.net/library/article/215#protect_some_files

MS Word documents aren't supported in RTC for viewing on the web. You can certainly open an enhancement for it though.
Anthony Paul selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.