It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I schedule a report?

Friedrich Kammerlander (324) | asked Apr 16 '13, 4:26 a.m.
edited Apr 16 '13, 4:28 a.m.
Hi everyone,

i created a report using the eclipse and BIRT that takes a long time to generate (~1h). It uses historical data from the data warehouse and is stable for 24h after the data collection jobs are finished. I enabled data caching, so the report takes a long time when it is run the first time of the day and is fast afterwards.

Now my question is if it possible to schedule the initial generation of the report each day right after the data collection jobs of for a fixed time (e.g. 3 am). Then the data should be cached and the first person who opens the report on a given day does not have to wait.
This would improve our process a lot, since the report is often only looked at once a day and it takes very long to load initially.

I know that it would better to speed up the report, but I already spend lots of time doing that and cut it down from > 12h and additional speed ups would be very complicated and time consuming.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Fred

p.s. we are using RTC 3.0

Accepted answer

permanent link
ankur sharma (66212228) | answered Apr 16 '13, 5:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC BIR reports do not have scheduling mechanism. However, if you upgrade to RTC 301 or later, you can use RRDI (which ships for free with CLM) which would use Cognos reports and will also provide scheduling mechanism.
Friedrich Kammerlander selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Vladimir Amelin (70472226) | answered Apr 16 '13, 6:23 a.m.
There is no such scheduler out-of-box. For long-runnning reports we use CURL (every report has unique URL) to generate it in the night.

permanent link
Friedrich Kammerlander (324) | answered Apr 16 '13, 7:02 a.m.
Thanks a lot for your answers!

I already created a unique URL for the report with the correct parameters, so I guess I will just create a script or something to call it in the night.

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Apr 16 '13, 10:42 a.m.

Hi Friedrich,

Make sure your BIRT report doesn't have the issue described in this article:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/add-a-rational-team-concert-data-warehouse-extension-for-custom-attributes/

Good luck!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.