It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workitem Creation with Parent ID using CSV Import is not working.

Muthukumar C (32712833) | asked Feb 19 '13, 12:34 a.m.
 hi,

I am trying to CREATE work items using CSV File import. I have a precondition that this type of work items must have Parent work item during the creation. Hence I need to create Task work items along with the Parent ID.

I have read some questions in this forum and came to know that this is possible After 3X RTC. I am using 4.0.0.1 RTC Client and when I am trying to upload the file with "Parent" column, same is throwing error from the Plugin Precondition. If I remove the Preconditions, then work item is getting created without Parent link. 

It will be helpfuk If I can get any sample file for creating work items with Parent Link.

Regards
Muthukumar.C

Comments
Muthukumar C commented Feb 19 '13, 1:31 a.m.

Moreover, I am unaware about How to upload the Values for WORKITEM type fields.

When exporting, Its exporting the value in the format ID : Summary. But the same is not accepting when import. 

One answer

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814161) | answered Jul 24 '13, 8:32 a.m.

I wrote a script that did this successfully. The CSV looked like this:

Attribute1,Attribute2,etc...,"Parent",AttributeX,AttributeY,etc...
Value1,Value2,etc...,"#ParentID",ValueX,ValueY,etc...

This worked initially. However, a short time later the same script began failing. The import would quickly create the work items and then it would sort of pause for a long time on the "resolving links" phase of the import process. Eventually, it would present an error message. This caused confusion for some of the users because they thought the entire import had failed and they would attempt it again. This resulted in duplicate work items being created (and none of them being correctly linked).

The only time I've gotten this to work is when I put Parent in quotes and the #ID in quotes as well. However, I don't think that should be required. I suspect there may be an RTC bug that is causing this import process to fail. I am on Jazz.net this morning to investigate whether just such a bug has been created.

Note that we are using RTC 4.0.1 (eClipse client)

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 24 '13, 1:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Are you importing into one of the pre-defined process templates, or using one you've customized?  If you are using a customized process, a useful debug step is to try importing the CSV file into a project area with one of the pre-defined process templates.  And then either way, I'd suggest creating creating a defect work item in jazz.net (or working with support to create one for you).  It sounds like you are doing the right thing, but are encountering some kind of bug.  If you are using a pre-defined process template, just attach the CSV file to the work item, and indicate which process template you used.  If you only get the error in a customized process, you'll need to also attach the process template to the work item. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.