It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing Port number for CLM

Kunal N (872862) | asked Feb 24 '16, 5:25 a.m.
 Hi All,

I have installed and configured CLM(ccm,qm,RM) 6.0.1 on WAS v8.5.5, I have configured the public URL and completed JTS setup. Before completing JTS setup I changed port number in WAS i.e(WC_defaulthost with port number 80) and WC_defaulthost_secure with port number 443) This helped me in hiding port number in URL.

Now i need to change the port number again to 80, Is it possible to change port number for clm after completing installation and setting up public URL.

Thank you,
Kunal Nigade.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 24 '16, 5:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Changing the port number, is like a server rename, since it is a part of the public URI root.
This is the case if the port number is shown, or if it is hidden and is changed and therefor must now be shown or hidden.
Kunal N selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kunal N commented Feb 24 '16, 6:00 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Do you mean to say That like once we set Public url it cannot be changed. it can only be changed by renaming server..  Same way once port is configured it cannot be changed...?

Thank you,
Kunal.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 24 '16, 6:49 a.m. | edited Feb 24 '16, 7:27 a.m.

Yes, if something in between the beginning h and the last / of https://myserver.mydomain.com:myport/ changes you need a server rename.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 24 '16, 6:50 a.m.

This includes port changes, if the port now surfaces or is removed, this includes protocol changes e.g. from http to https, as far as I know. If the old public URL does not work anymore, it is a server rename.

Kunal N commented Feb 24 '16, 7:24 a.m.

Thank you Ralph......

sam detweiler commented Feb 24 '16, 9:28 a.m.

yes, sadly, there was a bad implementation decision eons ago now to include the URI protocol and location information in the calculation of the unique UUID.

the only way to fix that is a server rename, which fixes what it can, and then filters the incoming requests and changes the text to the prior version where necessary.

note that you CAN do a second, third, ...nth server rename which stacks these up so EVERYTHING goes thru all the modifications.. (so there is a performance impact for each rename)

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 26 '16, 5:24 p.m.

Actually, successive server renames just update the URL mapping table, so the performance hit for N server renames is no greater than the performance hit of a single server rename.

sam detweiler commented Feb 27 '16, 9:09 a.m.

I will have to find the info we were provided and was posted here multiple times that said otherwise.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 27 '16, 11:47 a.m.

If you can find any postings from an IBM developer that says the performance cost is proportional to the number of renames, please post the URL here, and I will get that post corrected.  Last July, I confirmed with the Jazz developers responsible for that code that there is a cost associated with the first rename, but no increase in cost associated with subsequent renames.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 01 '16, 12:50 a.m.

Very few people have the breadth and depth of insight Geoff has, Sam. Unless I absolutely know otherwise, I trust Geoff's assessment here xD   

sam detweiler commented Mar 01 '16, 7:45 a.m.

I trust Geoff as well.. but this is different info than we got and different than what was posted here.. (once I find it again)

showing 5 of 10 show 5 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.